Decent LED Recessed Lighting Fixtures

Status
Not open for further replies.

dereckbc

Staff member
OK doing a remodel. At first I had eliminated LED and was looking at CFL. However after a few designs the number of cans has reduced to the point where I can consider LED. But what is throwing me is the price range anywhere from $35 to $200 for 5-inch cans. Can someone suggest some decent LED's Cans without breaking the bank?

I need them to be IC rated for remodel, 120 volt line.

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
OK doing a remodel. At first I had eliminated LED and was looking at CFL. However after a few designs the number of cans has reduced to the point where I can consider LED. But what is throwing me is the price range anywhere from $35 to $200 for 5-inch cans. Can someone suggest some decent LED's Cans without breaking the bank?

I need them to be IC rated for remodel, 120 volt line.

DMF lighting, their "ONE" LED series is all i've used since they came out.

http://dmflight.com/Media/2522c887-336b-4f2d-b256-e45187c3bc11.pdf

one lighting module, either 800 or 1,100 lumens, half a dozen color temps,
and bayonet mount trims, from 3" to 6".... so you can retrofit existing cans
with the same elements, they full range dim on 120 VAC, have 90 lumens per
watt, and look good.

i like em enough that is all i have in my house. unlike the home dipsnit stuff,
they don't fade away after a little while... google price, and if the 'net isn't
kind on them, PM me and i'll give you the source i get them from which
seems to beat the 'net by a little....

note: in 8' ceilings, don't even consider 1,100 lumens. imagine starting up
a carbon arc light in a sees candy store......

Last edited:

dereckbc

Staff member
Thanks guys. Been doing some looking and thought I would throw this out there.

What about say buying some 6-inch IC remodel cans with Edison base, and then go buy some Cree 12 watt watt CR6 lamps? Could even be Lithonia or Halo as all 3 manufactures make them. I can get the cans for about $8 to $10, and the LED's fro $26 to $35. What am I missing here?

kbsparky

Sylvania and Lithonia both make LED trim kits that fit into standard 6" recessed cans.

Cans: $10
Trims: $30

Total: $40 per light.

Cheep enough

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired

What about say buying some 6-inch IC remodel cans with Edison base, and then go buy some Cree 12 watt watt CR6 lamps? Could even be Lithonia or Halo as all 3 manufactures make them. I can get the cans for about $8 to $10, and the LED's fro $26 to $35. What am I missing here?

Pretty much what we've done on two of the last three projects except she wanted 4" cans. Same woman for all three projects but she opted for incandescent in the rental. All 51 of them.

James L

Occupation
Electrician

I rewired a restaurant about two months ago and used this type of setup. It was spec'd on the print. Slick install, nice look. about $40 total for can and trim

About a year ago, I wired a kitchen remodel for a customer who was determined to go LED for every fixture (4" cans, pendants, tracks, UCLs, etc). I suggested using a standard can and trim, with a screw-in LED replacement bulb. The benefits - it's a standard can, trim, bulb install, with a better selection of trim styles. Plus, the bulbs can be changed by the customer if a bulb goes bad or if they don't like the color temp. Cost was still about $40 each.

I suggested the same setup for her track and pendant lighting. It saved her a lot of money to buy 120v fixtures rather than LED fixtures, and there was a far better selection available.

If you use dimmers, you might have to make sure the bulbs are specifically listed by the dimmer manufacturer. I bought Lutron dimmers with Philips bulbs, and they weren't compatible. The bulbs only dimmed about 20% before they shut off. Went with Sylvania bulbs and they worked perfectly

Also, I think less expensive LEDs can be more prone to have variances in color temp. If they're really close together, it can be noticeable. I've seen this with LED ribbon especially.

dereckbc

Staff member
I rewired a restaurant about two months ago and used this type of setup. It was spec'd on the print. Slick install, nice look. about $40 total for can and trim
Yeah this seems to be the smart money unless I am missing something. From what I have seen buying a LED can light purposed starts at $80 up to $200, but you can use regular cans and LED trims for about
$40 to $50 total. What is not to like?

Also, I think less expensive LEDs can be more prone to have variances in color temp. If they're really close together, it can be noticeable. I've seen this with LED ribbon especially.
I agree with you and unless I am overlooking something I can get Cree 6-inch, 12 watt, 2700 to 4500 Kelvin for about $30 each. Or I can get Home Depot line called EcoSmart same Cree lamp for $26. Looking at 2700 Kelvin in Living and Bedrooms, 4000 in Kitchen, Office, and Bath. About 20 can all together and looks like I can do it for about $60/can installed by EC. Not to bad IMHO.

James L

Occupation
Electrician
I agree with you and unless I am overlooking something I can get Cree 6-inch, 12 watt, 2700 to 4500 Kelvin for about $30 each. Or I can get Home Depot line called EcoSmart same Cree lamp for $26. Looking at 2700 Kelvin in Living and Bedrooms, 4000 in Kitchen, Office, and Bath. About 20 can all together and looks like I can do it for about $60/can installed by EC. Not to bad IMHO.

I haven't used the EcoSmart or Cree, but I have looked at various retrofit trims to see how they connect, mount, etc. I've seen two mounting styles - spring arms (low, just above the trim ring) and spring tabs (high, near the driver). I think EcoSmart trims have the tabs.

Every time I've installed can trims with spring tabs, I've had problems with the can plate flexing up as the trim is pushed up. The trim hits the ceiling, then you let go and the can flexes back down, leaving a gap between the trim and ceiling. Even if they go up tight at first, they can be prone to slipping down over time and leaving a gap. And considering that LED trims weigh a lot more than a conventional trim and bulb, I can imagine it would happen with them, too

Spring arms pull the trim into the can as you push up, so they tighten up to the ceiling better. The ones I used in that restaurant came from City Electric Supply, spring arm type. They were about $30.00 each, I believe.

If it were me, I'd buy something off somebody's shelf that could be returned if I were unsatisfied for some reason. Keep the packages for a week or two, just in case

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Just be careful using the screw-in approach anywhere there are energy efficiency requirements to be met.
In CA you would have to use a specialized socket to be counted as an LED fixture.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

secorp

Amazon. globe electric. Model #90074.excellent remodel light. I checked with manufacturer. .ic and airtight.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

dereckbc

Staff member
Just be careful using the screw-in approach anywhere there are energy efficiency requirements to be met.
Not trying to be a Jerk, but I am energy conscious and trying to be efficient. By no means a Greenie or Tree Hugger, but I live in TX and pay $0.0799/Kwh maximum for less than 1500 Kwh/month and the price goes down as I use more than 1500 Kwh/month. We are tiered like you in CA, just works in the opposite direction. More you use, the cheaper it gets. It drop to 7.5-cents per Kwh over 1500 and less than 2000 Kwh/month. No fuel or transmission surcharges, just a $15/month delivery charge. At worst in summer with AC running from April to October in 100+ heat around 1800 Kwh/month with an average bill in summer of around $140 to $160. Winter months $50 to $60.. North TX had a huge surprise last November an dearly December with record snow and ice along with record heating bills. Just got mine for $110. I had 5 inches of solid ice for just over a week north of DFW area in Prosper TX. First time I have ever experienced Grocery Stores being empty for a week. Only delivery trucks running oddly enough were beer and wine. Only restaurants that remained open and stocked were BBQ joints. We had plenty of beer and brisket. :cool: You just had to figure out how to get there. Even 4-wheel drive trucks were getting stuck on 4 inches of solid wet ice.

Status
Not open for further replies.