Decipher this

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adamjamma

does to me.. black to the one, white to the next one, red to the third one and the one marked EG is the ground wire connection... Actually, nice to have that as a guide compared to having to look it up...

junkhound

Occupation
EE, power electronics specialty
poor signage, novice could read as white to red is 240v.

Even a modicum of knowledge though tells the story - eg same as 4 wire dryer outlet.

JFletcher

X is black, W is white, Y is red, and E / G is ground. although it is a little mislabeled showing 208 230 volts between the neutral and red conductor, it means between the two Hots, and 120 volts from the black to the white.

What did I win, a Turing machine? :D

Edited to add... I would have to verify that with the Nema designation as I would think the Y plug would be the grounded conductor based on its size.

Adamjamma

This single-phase three-pole 4-prong 120/240V 20A locking socket is found in some low-power (typically under 4,000W) portable generators.
wiring-l14-20r.png
Its pinout is similar to that of L14-30 except the notch in the ground hole is reversed. If you follow UL and NEC® 2014 80% loading guidelines, you can draw from this outlet up to 240x20x0.8= 3,840 VA. The mating plug L14-30P is normally wired with #12 AWG. As usual, red and black leads go to X and Y, white to the neutral, and green to ground (refer to this diagram for the configurations of the terminals).

ElectricMatt

This single-phase three-pole 4-prong 120/240V 20A locking socket is found in some low-power (typically under 4,000W) portable generators.
wiring-l14-20r.png
Its pinout is similar to that of L14-30 except the notch in the ground hole is reversed. If you follow UL and NEC 2014 80% loading guidelines, you can draw from this outlet up to 240x20x0.8= 3,840 VA. The mating plug L14-30P is normally wired with #12 AWG. As usual, red and black leads go to X and Y, white to the neutral, and green to ground (refer to this diagram for the configurations of the terminals).

Why would a 30amp plug be normally wired with #12 wire?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Adamjamma

think it was a typo from where I got it as if I recall, the 30p will not actually go into the 20p outlet due to the ground notch.. but there was a 20p plug...

gets confusing all the different plugs and such... think most dryers are a 30 amp plug and outlet anyway. I dont remember ever using a 20 amp 240 plug and outlet.

ElectricMatt

Some equipment I have wired is 20a 240v. However, if it is 30a, it needs to be wired with number 10. Yes dryer plugs here in the US are 30a and they also require #10.

I am not trying to pick on you just wanted to make sure I was not missing something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To me it is (incorrectly) showing that there is 208 or 240 volts between red and white.

Yeah it is the voltages that were making me scratch my head. This was a factory installed male. I had to put in a receptacle. I was a little paranoid at first that this was perhaps from China and they were being the (unconventional) decider on which pin is which. After some cogitating, I realized to get those voltages between those conductors, you would need two phases of a 120/208 system (white and red) and a neutral (black). Figured that was a stretch even for the Chicons ;) I wired the recep normally, held my breath and plugged it in and it worked!

kwired

Electron manager
Yeah it is the voltages that were making me scratch my head. This was a factory installed male. I had to put in a receptacle. I was a little paranoid at first that this was perhaps from China and they were being the (unconventional) decider on which pin is which. After some cogitating, I realized to get those voltages between those conductors, you would need two phases of a 120/208 system (white and red) and a neutral (black). Figured that was a stretch even for the Chicons ;) I wired the recep normally, held my breath and plugged it in and it worked!
What if you had run something other then red or black, or even two reds or two blacks?:huh:

JFletcher

Perhaps the 208 - 230 is not poor signage, perhaps it indicates that if you were to use a high leg, to put it on the Y terminals and, that the X leg to neutral supplies the 120 volt loads.

mivey

Perhaps the 208 - 230 is not poor signage, perhaps it indicates that if you were to use a high leg, to put it on the Y terminals and, that the X leg to neutral supplies the 120 volt loads.
Maybe with 3-phase but not single-phase. Can't imagine they are using the high leg for single phase loads.

I would go with mis-labeled.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
If that were the case, it would read only 208, not 208 - 230.

Status
Not open for further replies.