Decortive Lighting and GFCI's

Status
Not open for further replies.

bphgravity

Would receptacles installed in the soffit or near the roof line of a non-dwelling structure be considered "space that is for use by, or is accessible to, the public" and thus require gfci protection?

The decortive lighting will be installed in compliance with 590.3(B) and 590.5 of the 2005 NEC.

marinesgt0411

Re: Decortive Lighting and GFCI's

In my opinion which along with $2.00 will buy you a cup of coffee. no it is not accessable to the public unless it is below 8 feet but it would be a damp or wet location which requires GFCI.

bphgravity

I agree, but it says "or is accessible". The section states, "outdoors in public spaces". It doesn't exactly say the receptacle must be in an accessible place nor does it say the receptacle has to be used by the public. It just says it has to be in a "space" used or accessible by the public. It's a little vague, hence my question regarding the exact placement of the receptacle.

By the way, gfci protection is not required in damp or wet locations. :confused:

redfish

210.8(B)(4) Outdoors in public spaces?for the purpose of this section a public space is defined as any space that is for use by, or is accessible to, the public. Unless it can be determined that the location of outdoor receptacles restricts access to only authorized personnel (such as employees or maintenance personnel of a particular facility), GFCI protection of all 125-volt, 15- and 20- ampere receptacle(s) installed outdoors is required if they can be accessed by the general public.
bphgravity, this is from the 2005 NECH, hope it helps. :)

bphgravity

Okay, lets say the location is an ice cream shop. Out front there are a few benches and tables for guest to sit. Just above them in the overhang are receptacle outlets for decorative ligting. I agree the receptacles are not accessable per definition, but they are in a space that is accessible to the public.

So my question is, was the intent of this section to mean the receptacle's accessibility or the location of the receptacles accessibility?

redfish

bphgravity,
Okay, lets say the location is an ice cream shop. Out front there are a few benches and tables for guest to sit. Just above them in the overhang are receptacle outlets for decorative ligting. I agree the receptacles are not accessable per definition, but they are in a space that is accessible to the public.
The way I read it, it is the location of the receptacle being accessible (or not), not the space accessible to the public. I guess that if someone were to stand on the bench at your ice cream parlor and reach the receptacle under the overhang, then the receptacle would be accessible to the public. :)

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager

Originally posted by marinesgt0411:
...no it is not accessable to the public unless it is below 8 feet...
I agree with this.

If someone looks around for a receptacle to plug in their laptop while they're eating their ice cream, chances are they aren't going to stand on their seat to get to the soffit receptacle. :D

I'd say it's "guarded" by elevation. ;)

redfish

I agree with this.

If someone looks around for a receptacle to plug in their laptop while they're eating their ice cream, chances are they aren't going to stand on their seat to get to the soffit receptacle.

I'd say it's "guarded" by elevation.
But what if they do, is the receptacle now considered accessible? :D

Status
Not open for further replies.