Dedicated circuit for iron

Status
Not open for further replies.

iwire

Staff member
I don't think the code should get involved any more than it is right now in allowing or disallowing anything in someone's laundry room.

:thumbsup:

More so now than ever before.

At this point there are so many appliances for homeowners to choose from you can't guess if you need a 15, 20 or 30 amp 125, 208-240 or even a 125/240 circuit.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
.... However, the public inputs will continue to come in and people are needed to weigh in and filter through the information. The NFPA Process is not going to change so we can only hope that the next generation of CMP members keep that in mind.
Yes, but the new system makes the submission of comments on issues much more time consuming than the previous ROP/ROC method. It is much less transparent and gives even more power to the CMP members than they ever had before.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
Well......I can't really say I disagree after my stint on CMP 17 and seeing how the development process changed starting in the 2014 cycle....where the NFPA gave more control to the CMP's to create, change and alter existing language.

Considering the current climate this was a mistake. I do agree with some changes in language such as the term rubber insulated wire being swapped for thermal plastic in article 300, but the rest are unnecessary imo. There never was an issue with interpretation that I have seen.

It was unprecedented and so.....while i serve in the process I am less than happy about the recent development of the process. However, the public inputs will continue to come in and people are needed to weigh in and filter through the information. The NFPA Process is not going to change so we can only hope that the next generation of CMP members keep that in mind.

I think you may now understand where we come from. The old process was better, and while the public can certainly weigh in I feel as though they are simply being met with lip service imo.

I will either remain a believer in the system or become jaded over time....I am on a second panel starting in the 2020 cycle so we will see how it goes. I believe some good work was done in the 2017 Cycle....but much is left to do.

I agree. But here is how I see it: it does not matter if you become jaded or not. What matters is fighting for what you know is right. :thumbsup:

My beef in the process is that in order to add something or take something away it has to be technically justified and substantiated in fact and less on personal feelings.....trust me the system is moving away from that concept....but that's how I vote.....and remember I don't have voting rights on CMP 17 but I had a voice of reason which I doubt you think is possible...but it was a fact.

Id argue the CMPs cherry pic information as whole be it technical or common sense. Personally, some of the best code amendments have come from those implementing the Massachusetts electrical code. To me the MEC is more favorable then NEC.

kwired

Electron manager
It just occurred to me that MA has quite a few amendments, which must mean they don't agree with everything initially published - yet NFPA is based in MA. Somewhat meaningless yet kind of funny.

peter d

It just occurred to me that MA has quite a few amendments, which must mean they don't agree with everything initially published - yet NFPA is based in MA. Somewhat meaningless yet kind of funny.

I find the MA amendments most interesting with regard to NM cable rules since I mostly do resi work. The MEC actually relaxes some of the stricter NEC rules for NM cable and has for a very long time now.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
I find the MA amendments most interesting with regard to NM cable rules since I mostly do resi work. The MEC actually relaxes some of the stricter NEC rules for NM cable and has for a very long time now.

As Ive been saying, the NEC seriously needs an overhaul in that regard.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Appliances today are more efficient and I have never been called to a house that complained about tripping a laundry circuit. Most homes have just one circuit run in there. We used to run 2 circuits and my guys straightened me out saying there was no need.

I have seen washers and gas dryers on the same circuits without issue. Now I may add a second circuit in that case if there is an available outlet for an iron

Status
Not open for further replies.