Dedicated circuit for smoke detectors?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Atlas Shrugs

Hello everyone,

Current argument over here is if they need to be dedicated or not. I'm in New York, I'm used to tying them into the lighting circuit.

Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gregg Harris

Occupation
Electrical,HVAC, Technical Trainer
Hello everyone,

Current argument over here is if they need to be dedicated or not. I'm in New York, I'm used to tying them into the lighting circuit.

Thoughts?

Not required unless it is a local amendment. A shared circuit is more likely to be noticed if the circuit is tripped.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
IMO it is a good idea to tie them into a lighting circuit but as stated it is not required by the NEC but there could be a local amendment.

david luchini

Staff member
Occupation
Engineer

RICK NAPIER

From the Fire Alarm Code NFPA 72

For smoke detectors
11.6.3 AC Primary Power Source. The ac power source shall
comply with the following conditions:
(4) AC primary (main) power shall be supplied either from adedicated branch circuit or the unswitched portion of a​
branch circuit also used for power and lighting.

For fire alarm systems
4.4.1.4.1 Dedicated Branch Circuit.​
A dedicated branch circuitof one of the following shall supply primary power:(1) Commercial light and power(2) An engine-driven generator or equivalent in accordancewith 4.4.1.9.2, where a person specifically trained in itsoperation is on duty at all times(3) An engine-driven generator or equivalent arranged forcogeneration with commercial light and power in accordancewith 4.4.1.9.2, where a person specifically trained
in its operation is on duty at all times

mwm1752

Hello everyone,

Thoughts?

Residential install? do you have a NFPA13D system -- commercial? Agree local AHJ will determine the answer

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
Weird rule ,
Can be dedicated or not. Why waste the words on paper. The only pertinant portion is that it is not on a switch.

Gregg Harris

Occupation
Electrical,HVAC, Technical Trainer
It is a residential install. Where do I check for local amendments?

and here is Section R313.1.2:
[F] R313.1.2 Power source. In new construction, the required smoke alarms shall receive their primary power from the building wiring when such wiring is served from a commercial source, or an on-site electrical power system and when primary power is interrupted, shall receive power from a battery. Wiring shall be permanent and without a disconnecting switch other than those required for overcurrent protection. Smoke alarms shall be permitted to be battery operated when installed in buildings without commercial power or an on-site electrical power system or in buildings that undergo repair, alteration, change of occupancy, addition or relocation in accordance with Appendix J .

basically states the same as other locations, not required to be on dedicated.

construct

If your jurisdiction has adopted the ICCEC or Appendix 'K' of the 2012 IBC (Administrative Provisions for the NEC) They specifically state that single- and mutiple-station smoke alarms installed within dwelling units shall NOT be the only connected load on a branch circuit. Such alarms shall be supplied by branch circuits having lighting loads consisting of lighting outlets in habitable spaces.

But it does not state any requirement for "other than dwelling units". :ashamed1:

mwm1752

If your jurisdiction has adopted the ICCEC or Appendix 'K' of the 2012 IBC (Administrative Provisions for the NEC) They specifically state that single- and mutiple-station smoke alarms installed within dwelling units shall NOT be the only connected load on a branch circuit. Such alarms shall be supplied by branch circuits having lighting loads consisting of lighting outlets in habitable spaces.

But it does not state any requirement for "other than dwelling units". :ashamed1:
K111.6 Smoke alarm circuits. Interesting

Nec commentary
Single and multiple-station smoke alarms, such as those commonly installed in dwelling units, are supplied through 120-volt branch circuits rather than through a non?power-limited or power-limited fire alarm signaling circuit that is powered and controlled by a fire alarm control panel. Branch circuits supplying power to single- and multiple-station smoke alarms are not subject to the requirements of Article 760.
IBC does not cover"
Exception: Detached one- and two-family dwellings and multiple single-family dwellings (townhouses) not more than three stories above grade plane in height with a separate means of egress and their accessory structures shall comply with the International Residential Code.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
From the Fire Alarm Code NFPA 72

For smoke detectors
11.6.3 AC Primary Power Source. The ac power source shall
comply with the following conditions:
(4) AC primary (main) power shall be supplied either from adedicated branch circuit or the unswitched portion of a​
branch circuit also used for power and lighting.

For fire alarm systems
4.4.1.4.1 Dedicated Branch Circuit.​
A dedicated branch circuitof one of the following shall supply primary power:(1) Commercial light and power(2) An engine-driven generator or equivalent in accordancewith 4.4.1.9.2, where a person specifically trained in itsoperation is on duty at all times(3) An engine-driven generator or equivalent arranged forcogeneration with commercial light and power in accordancewith 4.4.1.9.2, where a person specifically trained
in its operation is on duty at all times

Just curious, does the actually wording in NFPA72-11.6.3 say smoke detectors or smoke alarms? I know that we often use the terms interchangeably but in this case I believe the question is really about smoke alarms.

PetrosA

Just to add to the confusion - when we were still under the 05 code, smoke detector circuits were dedicated so that the smokes wouldn't be on an arc-fault breaker. I haven't seen any houses built since the 08 has been enforced, but I suspect they don't do that anymore though I still think it's a sensible idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.