Dedicated circuit required for neon light?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sfav8r

We don't usually deal with this so I thought I'd see if any of you know the code section covering neon lights.

It was mentioned to me that any neon sign requires a dedicated circuit. I'm frankly not sure about that since it's out of our world, but this particular job is not a neon sign, it is an interior light in a commercial space. Does that matter? Is a dedicated circuit required for this installation?

We got involved because we originally installed the outlet that the neon light is now plugged into. When the neon light was installed (it is a permanent installation - approximately 6' long) the lighting guy asked if the plug was a dedicated outlet and indicated to the business owner that it would be required. Does anyone know the code section that covers this?

Thanks

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
We don't usually deal with this so I thought I'd see if any of you know the code section covering neon lights.

It was mentioned to me that any neon sign requires a dedicated circuit. I'm frankly not sure about that since it's out of our world, but this particular job is not a neon sign, it is an interior light in a commercial space. Does that matter? Is a dedicated circuit required for this installation?

We got involved because we originally installed the outlet that the neon light is now plugged into. When the neon light was installed (it is a permanent installation - approximately 6' long) the lighting guy asked if the plug was a dedicated outlet and indicated to the business owner that it would be required. Does anyone know the code section that covers this?

Thanks

try 600.5

iwire

Staff member
try 600.5

Yeah

600.5 Branch Circuits.

(A) Required Branch Circuit.
Each commercial building
and each commercial occupancy accessible to pedestrians
shall be provided with at least one outlet in an accessible
location at each entrance to each tenant space for sign or
outline lighting system use. The outlet(s) shall be supplied
by a branch circuit rated at least 20 amperes that supplies
no other load. Service hallways or corridors shall not be
considered accessible to pedestrians.

(B) Rating. Branch circuits that supply signs shall be rated
in accordance with 600.5(B)(1) or (B)(2).

(1) Incandescent and Fluorescent. Branch circuits that
supply signs and outline lighting systems containing incandescent
and fluorescent forms of illumination shall be rated
not to exceed 20 amperes.

(2) Neon. Branch circuits that supply neon tubing installations
shall not be rated in excess of 30 amperes.

It continues, it is worth looking up.

And there is this as well ...

210.62 Show Windows. At least one receptacle outlet
shall be installed within 450 mm (18 in.) of the top of a
show window for each 3.7 linear m (12 linear ft) or major
fraction thereof of show window area measured horizontally
at its maximum width.

sfav8r

The building may or may not have the power required by 600.5. It is an old existing building that would not be required to retroactively meet 600.5. Assuming that the building was either built before the requirements of 600.5 or assuming that the building meets 600.5, is there any other requirement that a neon light be supplied by a dedicated circuit? This light is not in or near a window and is not a sign. It is an interior accent light in an interior room.

Thanks

chris kennedy

Occupation
60 yr old tool twisting electrician
This light is not in or near a window and is not a sign. It is an interior accent light in an interior room.

Then I would base this on 220.18(B). Not uncommon for us to install multiple neons on one circuit in the interior of restaurants.

Status
Not open for further replies.