Dedicated Electrical Space above disconnect switches

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grouch1980

Section 110.26(F)(1)(a) of the 2008 NEC concerns the 6 ft dedicated space above "switchboards, panelboards, distribution boards, and motor control centers."

Does this include disconnect switches?

Grouch1980

My answer is that I lean towards yes, but the point of this section is to provide space for future installations such as new conduits coming out of panels or switchboards. Once a disconnect switch is in with its line and load side feeders, it seems as if no future installation would be needed... therefore disconnect switches would not require 6 feet clearance above them?

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
I don't have the 2008, but the text in the 2017, 110.26(E) starts off "(E) Dedicated Equipment Space. All switchboards, switchgear, panelboards, and motor control centers shall be located in dedicated spaces and protected from damage." That's an explicit list without any language of the form "or the like." As such, it is exhaustive, and since disconnects aren't listed, it doesn't apply to disconnects.

Cheers, Wayne

Grouch1980

I don't have the 2008, but the text in the 2017, 110.26(E) starts off "(E) Dedicated Equipment Space. All switchboards, switchgear, panelboards, and motor control centers shall be located in dedicated spaces and protected from damage." That's an explicit list without any language of the form "or the like." As such, it is exhaustive, and since disconnects aren't listed, it doesn't apply to disconnects.

Cheers, Wayne
I do agree. The list that I mentioned from 2008 doesn't mention disconnect switches either... and the examples are very specific.

Status
Not open for further replies.