Dedicated outlet with dedicated ground

Status
Not open for further replies.

rose1981

NEC 571.16 indicates "An isolated ground receptacle shall not be installed within a patient care vicinity". But can we provide a dedicated receptacle with dedicated ground in the exam room? This dedicated outlet is for Electromyography.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
oK...I still don't understand why an isolated ground outlet shall not be installed in patient care vicinity.
Why would you want or think you need one?

But to answer your question, you can not meet the requirements of 517.13(A)&(B) with an isolated ground.

Roger

rose1981

I am thinking we might need a dedicated outlet with dedicated ground for some of the medical equipment such as EKG, EMG etc

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
I am thinking we might need a dedicated outlet with dedicated ground for some of the medical equipment such as EKG, EMG etc
No, there is no equipment that will need an isolated ground in a patient care area, actually there is almost no equipment anywhere that needs an isolated ground.

Read the Informational Note below 517.11 for more on the reason for multiple ground paths and equipotential in patient care areas.

Roger

rose1981

Thanks Roger!
But one of my colleague said that his clients had issue with using EKG or EMG in one of his previous designs. The instrument wasn't giving a proper reading. So he thinks that I should provide a dedicated ground for a dedicated outlet, instead of providing an isolated ground outlet.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Thanks Roger!
But one of my colleague said that his clients had issue with using EKG or EMG in one of his previous designs. The instrument wasn't giving a proper reading. So he thinks that I should provide a dedicated ground for a dedicated outlet, instead of providing an isolated ground outlet.
You're welcome. The facility should have their Bio Med people check the units, the problem would be in the equipment. Most facilities (I thought all) have analyzers to test equipment on a regular basis. If the facility is JCAHO accredited they should be keeping records of these tests.

If they cannot test themselves they should have a testing outfit come in.

Roger

Status
Not open for further replies.