Dehumidifier, NEC code and means of disconnect

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jerrymosier

Occupation
Housing electrician
I have a situation that I need some help with. The university I work at had dehumidifiers installed in roughly 120 apartment units. I’ve found multiple code violations with several things they did but I’m stumped on one issue and need some advice. These dehu’s are either surface or wall mounted, I’ve actually done one myself. They’re made by Santa Fe. So the walls are block and they came through the block wall with a cord from a Jbox on the opposing wall and placed the cord in the back of the unit, which is possible according to their installation guide. But they direct wired it so there is no manual means to disconnect power at the unit. There’s no switch inside or plug to pull it out of. To get to the panel box you have to exit the kitchen, walk through the living room, through a door to the bedroom and through another to the closet to access the panel. The problem I’m having is what does dehumidifiers fall into? Refrigeration? If anyone can advise me on their thoughts on this scenario I’d be most gracious. We have a list of issues the company needs to come back and fix and this is the last issue and I’m at a stand still on what to go with.

DrSparks

The Everlasting Know-it-all!
Occupation
Master Electrician and General Contractor
SO cord can be hardwired to supply utilization equipment. Need a disconnecting means within sight though. A simple toggle switch can accomplish that.

Sent from my BE2028 using Tapatalk

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
Need a disconnecting means within sight though. A simple toggle switch can accomplish that.
So leaving the cord issues aside, a standard (properly rated) wall switch could be in an electrical box in sight, but it sounds like there isn't room for an electrical box (as if there had been, a receptacle could have been installed for the factory cord). 422.34 allows a unit switch as disconnecting means. If the dehumidifier had enough room in the wiring compartment (perhaps unlikely), could a panel mount toggle switch be field installed on the appliance chassis to qualify as a 422.34 unit switch? If so, what specifications or listings if any would be required for the toggle switch, beyond being rated for the proper voltage and current?

Cheers, Wayne

DrSparks

Occupation
So leaving the cord issues aside, a standard (properly rated) wall switch could be in an electrical box in sight, but it sounds like there isn't room for an electrical box (as if there had been, a receptacle could have been installed for the factory cord). 422.34 allows a unit switch as disconnecting means. If the dehumidifier had enough room in the wiring compartment (perhaps unlikely), could a panel mount toggle switch be field installed on the appliance chassis to qualify as a 422.34 unit switch? If so, what specifications or listings if any would be required for the toggle switch, beyond being rated for the proper voltage and current?

Cheers, Wayne
You can use a standard 15 amp toggle switch to control up to a 1 HP motor. I'm guessing your dehumidifier is not over that.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
SO cord can be hardwired to supply utilization equipment. Need a disconnecting means within sight though. A simple toggle switch can accomplish that.

He said the cord goes thru the block wall. That is not allowed

DrSparks

Occupation
He said the cord goes thru the block wall. That is not allowed
Indeed not

EDIT:

Well wait now. There's some debate about this. Do you mean it's concealed behind the wall or simply passes through one perpendicularly? Everyone seems to think it's ok to pass microwave and dishwasher power cords and through permanently installed cabinetry.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
@DrSparks Art 400 doesn't mention cabinet but it does speak of walls

400.12 Uses Not Permitted. Unless specifically permitted in
400.10, flexible cables, flexible cord sets, and power supply
cords shall not be used for the following:
(1) As a substitute for the fixed wiring of a structure
(2) Where run through holes in walls, structural ceilings,
suspended ceilings, dropped ceilings, or floors

(3) Where run through doorways, windows, or similar openings
(4) Where attached to building surfaces
Exception to (4): Flexible cord and flexible cable shall be permitted to be
attached to building surfaces in accordance with 368.56(B) .
(5) Where concealed by walls, floors, or ceilings or located
above suspended or dropped ceilings
Exception to (5): Flexible cord and flexible cable shall be permitted if
contained within an enclosure for use in Other Spaces Used for Environmental
Air as permitted by 300.22(C)(3).
(6) Where installed in raceways, except as otherwise permitted
in this Code
(7) Where subject to physical damage

Last edited:

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
You can use a standard 15 amp toggle switch
Right, but those are designed to be installed in a wall box with a switch plate. I was asking about panel mount switches, so you could install one in a small hole drilled in the unit chassis. Just wondering if that would be kosher, e.g. something like this:

assuming that 8A/125V and 1/3 HP would be sufficient.

Cheers, Wayne

DrSparks

Occupation
Right, but those are designed to be installed in a wall box with a switch plate. I was asking about panel mount switches, so you could install one in a small hole drilled in the unit chassis. Just wondering if that would be kosher, e.g. something like this:

assuming that 8A/125V and 1/3 HP would be sufficient.

Cheers, Wayne
You and I both know that would be just fine. And now we're out of the NEC and into potentially violating the devices UL listing?

That set aside, I don't think that would qualify as a disconnect for servicing because the power cord feeding the device is still hot. The disconnect needs to be ahead of the power supply wires.

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
That set aside, I don't think that would qualify as a disconnect for servicing because the power cord feeding the device is still hot.
That's obviously not true for a unit switch under 422.34. My main question is whether such a unit switch can be field installed, and if so if there were any particular requirements for it beyond the obvious.

Cheers, Wayne

(2017) 422.34 Unit Switch(es) as Disconnecting Means. A unit switch(es) with a marked-off position that is a part of an appliance and disconnects all ungrounded conductors shall be permitted as the disconnecting means required by this article where other means for disconnection are provided in occupancies specified in 422.34(A) through (D).

DrSparks

Occupation
That's obviously not true for a unit switch under 422.34. My main question is whether such a unit switch can be field installed, and if so if there were any particular requirements for it beyond the obvious.

Cheers, Wayne

(2017) 422.34 Unit Switch(es) as Disconnecting Means. A unit switch(es) with a marked-off position that is a part of an appliance and disconnects all ungrounded conductors shall be permitted as the disconnecting means required by this article where other means for disconnection are provided in occupancies specified in 422.34(A) through (D).
I see. What I've seen done in my factory days for such modifications is a handy box screwed to the chassis with a switch inline with the power cord.

Status
Not open for further replies.