Deicing Cable Alarm

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrSparks

The Everlasting Know-it-all!
Occupation
Master Electrician and General Contractor
Anyone know of an out of box solution for an alarm that monitors the operation of rooftop deicing Cable?

Sent from my BE2028 using Tapatalk

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I'm not sure what you're looking for exactly. A few years ago I installed a controller for the de-icing cable on a small strip mall roof. I believe it was made by Easy Heat. It basically had a module that laid in a gutter and sensed both moisture and temperature before turning the heat cable on. You'll have to do a search for it on line if that's what you need. Good luck.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
Anyone know of an out of box solution for an alarm that monitors the operation of rooftop deicing Cable?

Do you mean monitors when it's on, when it needs to go on, needs to go on but doesn't, is on when it shouldn't be, or doesn't have power to the cable?

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
3 pilot lights, current relay, thermostat:
Pilot light normally on for power status
T-stat that closes on low temp with a
call pilot light
Current relay with pilot light shows when cable is heating
Call for heat and current is alarm could wire up a few relays

DrSparks

Occupation
3 pilot lights, current relay, thermostat:
Pilot light normally on for power status
T-stat that closes on low temp with a
call pilot light
Current relay with pilot light shows when cable is heating
Call for heat and current is alarm could wire up a few relays
I have three variables:

Power supply present (P)
Call for heat (H)
Current passing through cable (C)

I need an alarm when:

-P | (H + -C)

I realize I need an auxiliary power supply for this. I'm so surprised this is not something you can buy off shelf. I'm installing this on a job where there's been over $100,000 insurance claim submitted for water damage due to ice damming.

I like the idea of pilot lights to indicate the problem, but there needs to be an audible alarm on any point of failure.

Last edited:

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I have three variables:

Power supply present (P)
Call for heat (H)
Current passing through cable (C)

I need an alarm when:

-P | (H + -C)

I realize I need an auxiliary power supply for this. I'm so surprised this is not something you can buy off shelf. I'm installing this on a job where there's been over $100,000 insurance claim submitted for water damage due to ice damming.

I like the idea of pilot lights to indicate the problem, but there needs to be an audible alarm on any point of failure.

we could make you something. would even be ul508a listed. It would not be real complicated. I can't say I have ever seen something off the shelf that would do this. One would think there would be a market for such a thing.

DrSparks

Occupation
we could make you something. would even be ul508a listed. It would not be real complicated. I can't say I have ever seen something off the shelf that would do this. One would think there would be a market for such a thing.
I'm thinking a passthrough device, such as the existing thermostats on the market that have a very good 10 year LiOn battery in them.

Status
Not open for further replies.