Demo-

Status
Not open for further replies.

mstrlucky74

Two scenarios happening

#1- Have many motors like this setup up which are being demolished/removed along with conduit and wire( which will ne removed by demo guy). Curious to know what would be involved most of the time in the disconnect, safe-off and tag process. Would you only removed/cut the wires from the terminals/lugs in the equipment and not have to do anything or touch the conduit? What would you do? Thank you.

#2. Motors are being removed and replaced with new. They want to re-use extg. conduit but install new wire. Obviously in this case electrician is removing the wire but what work would be involved with the conduit in order to get new wire in. Runs are about 100'. I would think you have no choice but to cut the conduit back to some point at the disconnect switch end but not at the panel in order to pull wire? What would you do? Thanks.

Attachments

• Capture.jpg
    Capture.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

mstrlucky74

Added another pic for clarity to show the scenario of removing a portion of the conduit, re-using most and installing all new wire.

Attachments

• Capture.jpg
    Capture.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 0

JFletcher

For a demo where existing conduit(s), pump pads, piping, conduit, etc. are going to re-used, I'd do it like a maintenance procedure for motor replacement.

Basically, lockout/tagout the breakers that feed the pumps, verify power has been secured. LO/TO any isolation (inlet/discharge) valves of the pump too. Unbolt the motor from the pump and pad/base, undo electrical connection(s), uncouple motor from pump. Replace with new.

mstrlucky74

For a demo where existing conduit(s), pump pads, piping, conduit, etc. are going to re-used, I'd do it like a maintenance procedure for motor replacement.
Basically, lockout/tagout the breakers that feed the pumps, verify power has been secured. LO/TO any isolation (inlet/discharge) valves of the pump too. Unbolt the motor from the pump and pad/base, undo electrical connection(s), uncouple motor from pump. Replace with new.

Thanks JFletch

mstrlucky74

Added another pic for clarity to show the scenario of removing a portion of the conduit, re-using most and installing all new wire.
So I've got a question about this. There's several conduits from different pieces of equipment, each conduit is about 1" with #12's, that go to junction boxes about 15' away. The conduit and equipment is all being demolished. Would you actually disconnect or cut the wires within the equipment or just cut the conduits near the equipment thus cutting the wires too? Thanks

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

growler

So I've got a question about this. There's several conduits from different pieces of equipment, each conduit is about 1" with #12's, that go to junction boxes about 15' away. The conduit and equipment is all being demolished. Would you actually disconnect or cut the wires within the equipment or just cut the conduits near the equipment thus cutting the wires too? Thanks

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

With a demolition job you can do anything from a neat and orderly dismanteling of equipment and conduits to knocking the building down and blowing up the rubble and salting the earth so nothing will grow there again.

Is anything worth saving or is it all going to the scrap yard or dump?

mstrlucky74

With a demolition job you can do anything from a neat and orderly dismanteling of equipment and conduits to knocking the building down and blowing up the rubble and salting the earth so nothing will grow there again.

Is anything worth saving or is it all going to the scrap yard or dump?

Love it!!! LMAO

The motors and associated equipment along with the branch conduits(about 20') to the j-box are be demolished. New equipment, branch conduits and wire will be installed.

growler

Love it!!! LMAO

The motors and associated equipment along with the branch conduits(about 20') to the j-box are be demolished. New equipment, branch conduits and wire will be installed.

Is there any reason you can think of to be carefull when demolishing the equipment? Such as people working near the demo? Any equipment near by that may be effected by the demolition process?

I think that you should use as much care as necessary to make sure that no one is harmed and no damage to the structure. Other than that it's anything goes.

mstrlucky74

Is there any reason you can think of to be carefull when demolishing the equipment? Such as people working near the demo? Any equipment near by that may be effected by the demolition process?

I think that you should use as much care as necessary to make sure that no one is harmed and no damage to the structure. Other than that it's anything goes.

Gotcha, thanks.

just the cowboy

Inactive, Email Never Verified
Safety

Safety

For number one: You said rip out guy was to do the work. I think you worded it backward an electrician should disconnect wires and conduit from the PANEL not the equipment. When we did this we would disconnect the wires in the panel, cut the conduit 6" from panel and remove stub and locknut. Plug hole and paint pipe green for safe. If that pipe only ran to equipment then rip out, if it ran to a junction box then an electrician needs to make sure it don't have any power sources from someware else.

For number two just pull wires out no need to open conduits unless it goes thru a LB then LB's need to be opened.

Note: if you don't check good for voltage before cutting a pipe, sparks were known to fly.

Status
Not open for further replies.