Demo

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
Have a job where they are replacing roof and disconnect all the feed to the roof mechanical equipment.
They are not replacing the equipment. Doesn’t make much sense but I confirmed this.
Anyway, they are asking me to remove all conduit and wire back to the source. I could never possibly estimate this without knowing circuit size and routing.
Can conduit AND THE WIRE be abandoned in place? How would that work? Pull back from panel and equipment to closest box and dead end there? Thanks.

James L

Occupation
Electrician
I did a job exactly like that at a school-turned-community-center, with the exception that they were replacing all the RTUs with new.

It was supposed to be removing all the equipment and the conduit back to where it penetrated the roof, then new units set in place and put new conduit back exactly the way it was.

So I guess that depends on what they mean by back to the source. We disconnected circuits at the panels, and rolled up the wires where they came out of the roof. It was quite a distance from there to each unit.

If all the existing units are going to go back in the same place, I cannot see removing all the wire.

I wouldn't want to remove the conduit because it could probably be reused If you did have to take all the wiring out.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
I did a job exactly like that at a school-turned-community-center, with the exception that they were replacing all the RTUs with new.

It was supposed to be removing all the equipment and the conduit back to where it penetrated the roof, then new units set in place and put new conduit back exactly the way it was.

So I guess that depends on what they mean by back to the source. We disconnected circuits at the panels, and rolled up the wires where they came out of the roof. It was quite a distance from there to each unit.

If all the existing units are going to go back in the same place, I cannot see removing all the wire.

I wouldn't want to remove the conduit because it could probably be reused If you did have to take all the wiring out.
Thanks. The units are not being re-used. Removed and that’s it.

James L

Occupation
Electrician
Thanks. The units are not being re-used. Removed and that’s it.
Oh I thought when you said they are not replacing the equipment, that meant they would be setting the old stuff back.

I don't know of any NEC requirement to remove conduit or the wiring inside of it.

Only know of requirement to remove cables unless concealed

But somebody might want all of that stuff removed just to clean up clutter. I had a job at an Alice Chalmers factory to add new lighting in a shop area. But there had already been three different series of lighting added in there , and each time something new was added, all the old stuff was left remaining - Even three installs of old high bay lighting. It was an absolute mess.