Dental office gas

Status
Not open for further replies.

raider1

Staff member
Nitrous Oxide is Nonflammable.

At elevated temperatures, nitrous oxide is a powerful oxidizer similar to molecular oxygen.

Chris

raider1

Staff member
Is nitrous oxide used in dental office hazardous?

Sent from my SM-G935U using Tapatalk

Hazardous in what context?

Nitrous Oxide is not a flammable gas from a NEC standpoint so the use of Nitrous Oxide would not create a Hazardous Classified Location in accordance with Chapter 5.

The major safety hazards of nitrous oxide come from the fact that it is a compressed liquefied gas, an asphyxiation risk, and a dissociative anesthetic.

Chris

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
Nitrous oxide used in conjunction with oxygen in dental office is it hazardous, flammable or combustible?

nitrous oxide isn't flammable. when it breaks down, as in an engine,
it produces an awful lot of oxygen to make power with.

and pure oxygen isn't flammable either. however, it's a powerful
oxidant. pure oxygen can combine with petroleum, as in oil or grease,
and burn furiously with no source of ignition. spontaneous combustion.

if the oil or grease ignites in an oxygen rich atmosphere, things don't go well.

there are rules for medical gases. google away....

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
The previous responses are correct; nitrous oxide is not flammable. With regard to the potential enhanced oxygenation that might be created (highly unlikely in a dental office application), see the opening statement in Section 500.6

codequestion

Banned
The previous responses are correct; nitrous oxide is not flammable. With regard to the potential enhanced oxygenation that might be created (highly unlikely in a dental office application), see the opening statement in Section 500.6
I am more concerned about hazardous classified oer nec 517 anestheszating location.

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
I am more concerned about hazardous classified oer nec 517 anestheszating location.

That’s fine; but you have to determine if the anesthetic is flammable [Section 517.60(A)]; in the unlikely event they were used together, nitrous oxide won’t make a nonflammable anesthetic flammable. [Section 517.60(B)]

codequestion

Banned
(EDITED) Nitrous oxide with oxygen in dental office is non flammable inhalation anesthetic see def 517.2 anesthetizing location. Now I have to determine NEC 517.61 A, B or C to use. Part A and B says Hazadrous (classified) and part C says other than Hazardous. My question boils down to which part to use A and B or just C?

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Will it be hazardous classified?

Good grief!!! If you were an apprentice or student we would tell you to give us your answer and ask you how you arrived at your conclusion. Then, if necessary, we would correct your homework. You’re an engineer, after all the coaxing you’ve already been given, the answer should be obvious.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Will it be hazardous classified?

Good grief!!! If you were an apprentice or student we would tell you to give us your answer and ask you how you arrived at your conclusion. Then, if necessary, we would correct your homework. You’re an engineer, after all the coaxing you’ve already been given, the answer should be obvious.

I agree.

codequestion, are your questions real or are you trolling us? IMO it's the latter,

Roger

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
I am not chemical engineer. I really dont know in general if nitrous oxide is hazardous or not. Not trolling sorry.

You were told in posts #2, #4, #5, #6, #8, #9 (your own!) and #10 that nitrous oxide is NOT hazardous in the context of 517. This is more than enough information to draw the proper conclusion as the whether 517.61 A, B, or C applies. Hint: Ignore the first two.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
I am not chemical engineer. I really dont know in general if nitrous oxide is hazardous or not. Not trolling sorry.

What or more people have told you so far is that nitrous oxide is not flammable nor potentially explosive, and that that is all that the NEC considers in its regulations on hazardous substances. Other hazards, like poisonous gas or toxic compounds do not count as far as the NEC is concerned.
You persist in repeating the same question, whether or not nitrous is hazardous. That gives the appearance that either you are very dense or that you are trolling.
That is just how it looks at this point.

If you ask about hazard in a context other than the NEC, then perhaps nitrous is hazardous. But that does not matter since it does not affect your work.

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
I'm not a chemical engineer either but, if you are going to get into the hazardous (classified) locations field, you best become familiar with NFPA 497 as a minimum.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
I'm not a chemical engineer either but, if you are going to get into the hazardous (classified) locations field, you best become familiar with NFPA 497 as a minimum.

I am a chemical engineer, and to your point, he'd be better off listening to you than me.

RumRunner

Occupation
Retired EE
Tempest in a teapot!!

OP is only asking (as reflected in Post 15) if nitrous oxide is hazardous and he says: “ I really don't know in general if nitrous oxide is hazardous or not.”. . .

Of course it is hazardous.

It is one of the nine hazardous agent/materials recognized by EPA, DOT and other regulatory agency.

A discarded wound wrapping is a hazardous waste.

OP did not deserve to be vetted and pilloried by a mob ganging up on him that are only looking from their own perspective.

All gases can be classified as flammable or non-flammable. Either classification that they belong to, doesn't remove them from being hazardous.

Easy on the NEC. . . sometimes it can be a pitfall.

Status
Not open for further replies.