Derating neutral wire

Status
Not open for further replies.

anbm

Went to job site today, and saw a main service swbd (5,000A MLO, 240/120/1, has five feeder breakers) (The swbd was installed probably around 1980)
serving high-rise condominium.

Incoming feeder underground to swbd: (13) sets of 2#750MCM-AL, 3/0 Neutral-AL. It appears the neutral wire is de-rated, is it allowed per code?
If so, what is the rule?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
The neutral is sized according to the load calculation so it can be smaller than the phase conductors. There is a minimum neutral size for a grounded system.

anbm

The neutral is sized according to the load calculation so it can be smaller than the phase conductors. There is a minimum neutral size for a grounded system.
Dig into the code book, 230.42(C) refers to 250.24(C1)(1) or (2), it appears neutral wire can be smaller than hot wires... but I am not sure if this rule only applies to 3-phase system or doesn't matter.

packersparky

Occupation
Inspector
Dig into the code book, 230.42(C) refers to 250.24(C1)(1) or (2), it appears neutral wire can be smaller than hot wires... but I am not sure if this rule only applies to 3-phase system or doesn't matter.

Look at 220.61 and table 250.102(C)(1).

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Reduced service conductors neutrals are permitted on both 1Ø and 3Ø systems. Packer gave you the code sections.

Status
Not open for further replies.