Derating Question (AC & DC in Same Raceway)

Status
Not open for further replies.

chukkyi

Existing
I have power (#12's) and control wires (#14's) in the same RGS conduit feeding 4 signs. Power is off a 20A breaker at 120VAC 1PH (+120V, -120C, GND) (Non-continuous). Control is (+12VDC, +12VDC, -12VDC) (Continuous). All four signs are spliced into the same AC feed for their 5A motors, but have their individual control lines, which is 3-#12 & 12-#14's in one 1"C for over 100' before terminating into their individual JB's with (3-#12 & 3-#14) for each sign.

Proposed
I'm getting replacement signs with 20A Motors (worst case), and need to feed them through the same 1" conduit (embedded in structures and concrete). Control is remaining +12VDC. I am aware of the provision of NEC Article 725 class 1 or 2 which i believe covers this case for allowing both in same raceway.

Question
  1. Would the control wires be considered as current carrying conductors for the sake of derating?
  2. I'm looking to up the breaker size and pull new power wires (possibly control also) through that 1"C, how will derating affect this?

Status
Not open for further replies.