Design reference book or menu for primary service design

Status
Not open for further replies.

dahualin

Could you please recommend a design reference book or menu for electrical primary service design? NEC doesn't cover that part. Thanks.

jtester

It is highly unlikely that you could learn NEC design from a single book, there are entire books written about grounding, about motors, etc. It is even more unlikely that you could learn even the basics of high voltage design from a single book.

When doing high voltage design, a mentor is extremely important. Without a great deal of experience or someone who is knowledgeable watching over your shoulder, I would not recommend attempting HV design.

Jim T

dahualin

We do electrical system design based on our knowledge of electrical enginering learned from univeristy, knowledge learned from the forum and others, and a lot of reference books such as NEC, Electrical Engineer's handbook, and Stallcup's Electrical Design book, etc. Those books do not mention a lot about primary service (high voltage, medium voltage) design, and I want to learn how to approach it. If you know any good reference book or menu about it, please let me know. Thanks.

kingpb

Occupation
Engineer, Registered
As jtester stated, there is no one book that will teach this. Medium voltage design relies upon knowledge of power transformers, medium voltage switchgear/contactors, protective relaying, grounding, cable, and power system analysis, just to name a few.

The NESC is a good place to start, but by no means will it provide all the knowledge you will need. Most people learn MV and HV design by working for others where they can be mentored.

jtester

David

The NEC is prescriptive based, and the NESC is performance based. The NEC will tell you to install a #8 egc with a 100 amp circuit, whereas the NESC will tell you to "adequately ground" it. This approach is consistent throughout the NESC.

It is almost impossible to learn by only studying literature without interaction of more knowledgeable individuals, because you will have to reinvent everything.

Jim T

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
An interesting, though quite dated, text is the Overhead Systems Reference Book , 1927, published by the National Electric Light Association.

Go to www.bookfinder.com and just type in the title. You should find the book available at a very modest price from many vendors.

jtester

David

I didn't realize how negative I sounded until I read the posts again. I don't want to discourage you or anyone from learning.

The USDA has a great set of standards for co-op use, and they are a terrific reference. The website is http://www.usda.gov/rus/electric/bulletins.htm. I believe it has been posted by members here before.

This will give you information about how to select wood poles, crossarms, conductors, insulators, as well as put them together into structures.

Jim T

Wangwsj

With some reference books at hand, it is up to you to learn before practice. But it is not up to you to practice at the time you want. Furthermore, pratice needs opportunity. You have to wait for an appropriate project.

Status
Not open for further replies.