Status
Not open for further replies.

curt swartz

Electrical Contractor - San Jose, CA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Re: Detached Garage

Dana1028,

That's a good one! I'm surprised Don and Tom didn't refer to it. Tom kept referring to 210.4(A) but 225.30 would have shut me up sooner. It looks like you guys win this one. I still have a hard time in my mind considering 2 single pole breakers as one circuit but obviously the NEC does for this purpose.

[ April 29, 2003, 10:31 PM: Message edited by: curt swartz ]

david

II. More Than One Building or Other Structure
225.30 Number of Supplies.
E). For the purpose of this section, a multi-wire branch circuit shall be considered a single circuit.

After reading this post as Dana pointed out I have to agree that this section does in fact treat a multi-wire circuit as a single circuit

David

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO

Don

I disagree. This is not a single circuit. It "feeds" or "services" the outbuilding. "I" believe once you split this it is more than one circuit. Using your logic I could have a 40 space panel in the garage. Still one circuit just split at the garage.

Mike P.

[ April 29, 2003, 09:56 PM: Message edited by: jxofaltrds ]

bennie

Esteemed Member

The service to my home is one circuit 240/120. If it were 3 phase, it would still be one circuit.

When each conductor shares the same load it is one circuit.

curt swartz

Electrical Contractor - San Jose, CA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor

Mike,

According to 225.30 this is considered a single branch circuit. If you had a panel in the garage the circuit feeding the panel would be a feeder not a branch circuit.

david

Mike,

Your right a multi-wire branch circuit is not a single circuit.

However it is very clear that limited to section II of article 225 the code treats a multi-wire circuit as a single circuit when applying the rules of 225.30 through 225.40

The disconnect would have to be un-fused to keep in line with the definition of branch circuit. If you add a 40 space panel you would be dealing with a feeder no longer a branch circuit

[ April 30, 2003, 12:52 AM: Message edited by: david ]

iwire

Staff member

Mike and David I have trouble with calling it a single circuit also, but it is defined that way in article 100.

I do not understand why this is applied to outbuildings.

If I need two or three circuits in an outbuilding and I run one neutral no ground rod required, but if I run separate neutrals for the same circuits I need a ground rod. :roll:

[ April 30, 2003, 05:58 AM: Message edited by: iwire ]

Status
Not open for further replies.