Detailed quote

Fordean

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
After completing a proposal and submittal. Spending hours and job site visits.
Client requests a Detail Quote. Parts vs Labor. He would like the EV Charge Type and mount.
When we do this they use the internet to look up and get a price. In which, Is only partial of the overall project.
Example: Removing Concrete sidewalk, Re designing the complete system Removing 45 Kva System, Installing 2 new 75KVA systems.
They want downtime to 1 side at a time. Not all chargers. ( Adding 4 more EV and Updating to a newer type, Relocating 2Older models to opposite side of the building). Large building. Keeping the Newer units ( 4 Pedastals and 2 charger per pole). How do we comply to requests without them forming a Internet picture of costs. Of course there is a markup on everything. Also, Using a outside contractor to remove the sidewalks and discard and repour. ( Don't want the concrete part.)

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
IMO, you provide a service and you charge for it. Customer is not entitled to see the breakdown.

In similar situations, I politely ask the customer for their favorite restaurant and see if they know how much they bought the meat, noodles, chicken for.

You buy the plate for $$. Don't like the pricing, please move on.

kwired

Electron manager
If so it then turns into an estimate and not a quote for determining any contract amount.

It may contain items you not sure if will be needed but were added just in case. Could also be items not listed that end up getting used, and you hoped you padded things enough to cover all possibilities.

d0nut

There is a decent chance the owner needs the quote broken out as requested for utility rebates or other similar program. I politely ask the owner why they needed the quote broken out like that before spending a bunch of time on it to avoid redoing the breakout to match the required format.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
I wouldn’t give a material/labor breakdown, but giving a cost per task is an acceptable ask. It’s also a good starting point if the customer objects to price on allowing them to select a task to alter or delete from the project to meet their budget.

As for knowing make/model of equipment, I would always send submittals with my quote so there is no confusion as to what the customer is buying.

Lastly, my best advice is that you shouldn’t focus on selling a customer on price, but on your ability as a contractor. I’ve heard time and again that I wasn’t the lowest price, but I was the person they had the most confidence in. That said, there are certainly customers that buy solely on price, and in my experience that’s the customer you’re most likely to have issues with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk