Determine amps draw of 3PH load on 3PH panel

Status
Not open for further replies.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Any calculation that involves a three phase system will, at some point, bring the factor of "the square root of 3" into play. Sometimes the trick is know where it goes, and whether you are multiplying or dividing by it. Your equation is correct as written.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
I would caution against using the phrase "per phase." It frequently leads to a misunderstanding. If phase A carries 10 amps, and phase B carries 10 amps, and phase C carries 10 amps, that is not "10 amps per phase," and it doesn't result in a "total" of 30 amps. The amps leaving the source on phase A return to the source on phases B and C. It is the same amps.

Besoeker3

Occupation
I would caution against using the phrase "per phase." It frequently leads to a misunderstanding. If phase A carries 10 amps, and phase B carries 10 amps, and phase C carries 10 amps, that is not "10 amps per phase," and it doesn't result in a "total" of 30 amps. The amps leaving the source on phase A return to the source on phases B and C. It is the same amps.

I agree. I would also caution against omitting power factor. If you do, you get VA, not power.

Status
Not open for further replies.