Device Color

Status
Not open for further replies.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
Starting a remodel in the bathroom, have been in this house for 40 years. Devices all all Ivory, standard switches. Realtors often suggest going to Decora for switches and receptacles. What is the most common color for devices currently? I have seen some devices in Light Almond, and of course White is popular.
I could just stay with Ivory and go to Decora...
(Do realtors understand that replaced a receptacle it has to be AFCI and or GFCI)?

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
(Do realtors understand that replaced a receptacle it has to be AFCI and or GFCI)?

No, and HI's don't either. And who's going to know after they have been replaced? Because they look new? Don't use TR's and if somebody asks "they've been there for 15 years". Nobody is going to spend hundreds to replace old receptacles because of some stupid NEC requirement. So Charley the Handy Man gets the nod.

-Hal

Coppersmith

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
99% of all significantly large remodels I have done use white devices. About 50% of the clients want Decora, the others want standard. I personally prefer standard. I have also refreshed a couple of homes by just replacing all the devices with white. (And a lot of people have asked for a quote on doing this but declined when they heard the price.)

Realtor opinions are probably valid when it comes to selling houses. They hear what people are asking for in houses. That said, Realtors do not care about rules or morals or laws. They will screw any tradesman in order to maximize their income. I have learned to never do a free estimate for a Realtor. They always get charged an estimate fee.

AC\DC

Occupation
EC
In my little town 90% Is white With standard switches and receptacles. I noticed people like the Decorah style switches but don’t like that look for decorah receptacles or the extra price.
Realiters around here don’t know about the AFCI/GFCI replacement. Though you tell them and they so far have smiled and said fine. I guess no skin off Their nose

Beaches EE

Occupation
Electrical Engineer / Facilities Manager
From the real estate perspective, either white or light almond are preferred with Decora for switches and standard for receptacles in the majority of locations. Kitchen counters and islands sometimes look better with devices that coordinate with the cabinet / backsplash color.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
When I started in the trade (I love to say that) the standard color was brown, the cover plates had vertical lines...Of course appliances were harvest gold and avocado green. Thanks for the tips.
Now to replace receptacles right, I would need to pull a permit to swap to AFCI/GFCI....maybe having AFCI/GFCI would add to the selling points, but most buyers are interested in the kitchen...

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
From the real estate perspective, either white or light almond are preferred with Decora for switches and standard for receptacles in the majority of locations. Kitchen counters and islands sometimes look better with devices that coordinate with the cabinet / backsplash color.
I agree, Decora and lately almost always white.

McLintock

Occupation
Electrician
Up here in the Northwoods, I mostly put in standard light almond devices.

In my opinion white just “pops” to much, light almond is less noticeable. Decora is really a waste of money, I find the standard switch’s to be far better.

“ shoot low boys their riding shetland ponies”

Status
Not open for further replies.