Did not know you could do this with a small motor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
mivey said:
LarryFine said:
Or is that 'whom'? :confused:
who. Adding "...was insulted" at the end of your sentence makes it clearer that "who" is the subject in the second phrase of the sentence.
"That's a, I say, that's a joke, son!" ~ Foghorn Leghorn

mivey

LarryFine said:
"That's a, I say, that's a joke, son!" ~ Foghorn Leghorn
Whom be friends with Rhode Island Red. Glad you can keep it straight. This stuff messes with me all the time.

drg

Good morning , wound up replacing the non- capacitor start 1/4 hp motor .

However we found one that was a capacitor start 1/4 hp that would start in either direction depending how it was rotated before starting ......... replaced the capacitor and you can push the blades in the opposite direction now and it will correct itself to start in the proper rotation.

Thanks for the replies and also my microwave reverses rotation every time I stop it and start again.

drg said:
Last week had a request at work to fix post mounted fan that was blowing backwards.......

It was a simple 1 phase fractional horse dayton fan around 30" diameter mounted on a bldg. column and it was blowing air in the wrong direction from what it was suppose to be .

I was puzzled but a guy came over shut the fan off and when it came to a stop he put a pencil in between the fan guard and spun the blades the opposite rotation hit the switch and it worked the right way !!

I said o.k. you guys know how to fix it and left ............seems like something is odd here , certainly I don't understand how the motor works this way but it does.

This fan is in the blgd. I work in and if there is something to fix I'll do it but there is nothing we can figure out ..........we really don't want to replace it but sooner or later someone will stick something in there and get it caught or possibly hurt and then mounds of paperwork and headaches.

Any ideas here?

You will find the same thing with a three phase motor with one missing phase. It will not start rotating on its own but as soon as you move it in either direction it will continue to run in that direction.The rise of the magnetic flux in one pole and the decay in the other causes rotation and if you look at it from either direction the rise and decay exist, relative to each other. When it is three phases there are two dominant rises occur in the same direction that is how the rotation becomes deterministic.

drg

That 3 phase motor with a dropped leg is going to have short life span .

How come the single phase motor can run continual going backwards and not burn up ?

Im not a motor guy and just friendly asking .

drg

I just change parts and install things as they break , probaly do me some good to read up on things like how motors work .........it's a curious thing with me at the time and I do appreciate your response though ............i'll be active in asking question about these things at work and learning on my own as best I can .........forget my last post, it was not real well thought out on my part.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.