DID WE WORK SAFE?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hawkeye23

My company had a IR scan of its 480volt mcc units and one of our electricans[ wearing [ ppe 8 cal] worked with tech opening up the hinged covers to expose the starters, wires, he was dressed in long sleves , hard hat and safety glasses and kept about 2' from any energized parts never contacting any part of mcc when scanning. We have not had any arc flash studies yet , no labeling of equipment either.
Were we working properly as in " electrical safe practice method " ?

zog

My company had a IR scan of its 480volt mcc units and one of our electricans[ wearing [ ppe 8 cal] worked with tech opening up the hinged covers to expose the starters, wires, he was dressed in long sleves , hard hat and safety glasses and kept about 2' from any energized parts never contacting any part of mcc when scanning. We have not had any arc flash studies yet , no labeling of equipment either.
Were we working properly as in " electrical safe practice method " ?

If your MCC's fall within the limits of the tables you should be using the PPE required by the tables, they have these specific tasks:
-480V MCC - removal of hinged covers = HRC 1
-480V MCC - removal of bolted covers = HRC 4
-480V MCC - Perfrom IR scanning outside the RAB =HRC 1

So no, they did not have the proper PPE even if your MCC is within the table limitis, which often times is not the case anyways. Was the guy doing the IR scanning in HRC 1 PPE?

zog

NO tech was not in ppe. I guess we learned something new. Thanks for the response.

You don't pre-qualify your IR guys to ensure they are 70E qualified? That is a lot of liability you are taking on there. Let me guess, they are not certified IR techs either?

Sounds like your plant needs some 70E training (and an arc flash analysis). The analisys is optional if you use the tables bu the training is mandatory.

Status
Not open for further replies.