Diesel Fuel Tank

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is a diesel fuel tank set outside next to a building a class 1 div. 1 location? If so, is rigid conduit the only wiring method? How can you make it a flexiable connection to ollow for the tank to settle. The pump sits on top the tank.

Thank You!!

Cold Fusion

DF generally has a flashpoint greater than 100F. The areas around a DF tank are not classified - except by company policy.

However, if the customer/AHJ/engineering wants C1D1, there are explosion proof couplings available. I've seen/installed sizes 1/2" to 2", 6" long to 36" long. They are kind of expensive, but if the customer wants it ...

cf

tkb

If diesel fuel tanks were CL1 DIV1 then so would the generators that sit on top of them.

hardworkingstiff

If you are in PA, check with the local Fire Inspector, PA has required diesel dispensers to be wired Class I Division I in the past. I don't know how that would apply to generator tanks, but .......... worth a phone call.

Cold Fusion

If diesel fuel tanks were CL1 DIV1 then so would the generators that sit on top of them.
Normally things change for the generator. Usually I am looking at NFPA 37 for stationary combustion engine installation:

NFPA 37 Standard for the Installation and Use of Stationary Combustion Engines and Gas Turbines 2006 Edition
Chapter 4 Engines ? General Requirements
4.5 Electrical Installations.
4.5.1 Electrical installations in rooms containing engines shall comply with NFPA 70, National Electrical Code.
4.5.2 Engine rooms or other locations shall not be classified as hazardous locations as defined in Article 500 of NFPA 70, National Electrical Code, solely by reason of the engine fuel, lubricating oil, or hydraulic fluid.

cf

Cold Fusion

If you are in PA, check with the local Fire Inspector, PA has required diesel dispensers to be wired Class I Division I in the past. I don't know how that would apply to generator tanks, but .......... worth a phone call.

In past lives I was heavily involved with fuel dispenser installations.

At consumer level (retail service stations), if the AHJ didn't require C1D1, then the owner would require all dispensers to be C1D1. I think it's because they don't know what fuel will be in any particular dispenser next week (or tomorrow either).

For commercial installations (non-retail, owner refueling own vehicles) the AHJ didn't care as long as the installation met the area classification for the intended fuel. The owner generally didn't have a clue. If engineered we followed the prints. If not specified on the prints or no prints, we put in C1D1 regardless of intended fuel.

cf

hardworkingstiff

In past lives I was heavily involved with fuel dispenser installations.
Almost 30-years now for me.
At consumer level (retail service stations), if the AHJ didn't require C1D1, then the owner would require all dispensers to be C1D1. I think it's because they don't know what fuel will be in any particular dispenser next week (or tomorrow either).
I've heard that so many times. Any modifications to the site would address that at that time. The arguement doesn't fly in my book (but... if I'm being paid for it I do it with a smile :D)

Cold Fusion

(cut) Any modifications to the site would address that at that time. The arguement doesn't fly in my book (cut)
You're right. However, the few bucks difference really never showed up in the cost of a service station or a commercial installation either.

I don't recall ever putting in a farm pump. Okay, I put one in for my dad to fuel his bobcat and no, it wasn't C1D1. :D

(cut) (but... if I'm being paid for it I do it with a smile :D)
Same method I use. If it's on the prints, and isn't illegal or dangerous - I'm good with it.

cf

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.