Diesel versus Gasoline Engine

Status
Not open for further replies.

jrannis

SmithBuilt said:
Only a problem on the older models. I was referring to the new models concerning the auxiliary heaters.

I have had ford diesels for about 10 years and have never plugged one up. Keep in mind I'm in NC. It might get into the single digits once a year but rarely.

On another note some one said the oil change was 5 quarts compared to 7 for the diesel. My Ford takes 13 or 14 quarts. So oil changes are quite a bit more expensive.

Use Amsoil or Mobile 1 and just change the filters. The oil cant wear out it just gets dirty.
http://www.performanceoiltechnology.com/haywood_grey_409k.htm

jrannis

Energy-Miser said:
Nice, I guess there is a new breed of diesels out there. Some even can be run on vegatable oil, in a pinch?
I would not suggest putting anything but low sulfer Diesel in engines placs in service this century. Cloggs up the filters and injectors.
Old diesels and farm equipment is what that stuff is for. I have a buddy that gets the oil for free, and after processing it it costs him about 80 cents a gallon. Very Cool.

cschmid

don't just change filters what a crock..change oil regularly I have 375000 + miles on my diesel and it still runs good, body is rough but not a daily driver anymore..going to retire it some day...

peter d

My bosses van is a GMC with the Duramax diesel. It's ridiculously powerful and even when the van is loaded down the thing is still a rocket sled!

jrannis

cschmid said:
don't just change filters what a crock..change oil regularly I have 375000 + miles on my diesel and it still runs good, body is rough but not a daily driver anymore..going to retire it some day...
What happens to the synthic oil to cause it to need replacement? Your diesel truck isnt hot enough to burn it, the filters will take out the dirt.
I would rather spend $10 on an oil analysis than change and handle the used oil.
Buy oil company stock!

iwire

Staff member
peter d said:
My bosses van is a GMC with the Duramax diesel. It's ridiculously powerful and even when the van is loaded down the thing is still a rocket sled!

I can attest to that. :grin:

I have a Durmax with a limited slip rear end......go light on the go pedal around corners or the back end may pass the front end unexpectedly.

cschmid

what do you mean they don't get as hot..your diesel runs the same temp as a gas and the only difference is combustion so the fuel explodes instead of being ignited by spark..the diesel is normally towing something or caring a heavy load working engine even harder..we done the oil samples and paid the tests and over time you will wear an engine out faster by not changing oil..it causes bearing failures..you can experiment your self go for it I will change my oil regularly..

active1

Diesels in general take a long time to warm up for 2 reasons:

At idle not much fuel is needed to keep the engine running. Little fuel = low BTU.

A diesel has a much bigger cooling system, oiling system, and more metal. A diesel radiator is allways larger. The cooling system may hold 6 gallons compaired to 3. As said some oiling systems hold 12 quarts of oil instead of 5. The weight of a diesel is double of a gas engine. My guess would be 1000 lbs compaired to 500 lbs for a fully dressed gas engine. Right there you have about 4.5 gal of fluid and 500 lbs of metal extra you need to heat up. Also diesels tend to have seperate oil coolers compaired smaller or none on gas models. I can't say what the new ones have but older diesels had larger cooling fans on clutches (they still turn some when cold).

The reason for the extra cooling on a diesel is because diesel fuel produces more BTU's compaired to an equil amount of gasoline. Under full load you need a larger systems to keep the fluids at operating temp. Many diesels create more power. More power + more heat. Diesels tend to go with the heavier model trucks that are made to be worked harder.

The problem with this extra cooling is it takes a while to heat up and sometimes cools off at ilde.

To correct the cold problem manufactures have:

Block heaters (for starting also)
Raised idle speed in cold weather
Restricted the exhaust at a cold idle
Grill covers

active1 said:
Diesels in general take a long time to warm up for 2 reasons:

At idle not much fuel is needed to keep the engine running. Little fuel = low BTU.

A diesel has a much bigger cooling system, oiling system, and more metal. A diesel radiator is allways larger. The cooling system may hold 6 gallons compaired to 3. As said some oiling systems hold 12 quarts of oil instead of 5. The weight of a diesel is double of a gas engine. My guess would be 1000 lbs compaired to 500 lbs for a fully dressed gas engine. Right there you have about 4.5 gal of fluid and 500 lbs of metal extra you need to heat up. Also diesels tend to have seperate oil coolers compaired smaller or none on gas models. I can't say what the new ones have but older diesels had larger cooling fans on clutches (they still turn some when cold).

The reason for the extra cooling on a diesel is because diesel fuel produces more BTU's compaired to an equil amount of gasoline. Under full load you need a larger systems to keep the fluids at operating temp. Many diesels create more power. More power + more heat. Diesels tend to go with the heavier model trucks that are made to be worked harder.

The problem with this extra cooling is it takes a while to heat up and sometimes cools off at ilde.

To correct the cold problem manufactures have:

Block heaters (for starting also)
Raised idle speed in cold weather
Restricted the exhaust at a cold idle
Grill covers

that useally true but let me highlight one impoart part most moden diesel truck / van manufacters did spec not to put a Grill cover on front of the vechiles the reason why because most of them have intercooler in front of radiaditor that help to keep the intake air cooler to keep up with the power.

and later this year i will be adding a APU [ not sure which one yet but deteremed how much time i can used it vs running my service truck with inverter]

Merci, Marc

Energy-Miser

If I remember correctly diesels run at lower RPM, but generate more torque. This explains their superior power to tow, or just pick up. Also the low RPM contributes to engine durabillity. As to running cooler, I imagine its a function of its efficiency, when compared to gasoline engine. It converts more of the energy content of each gallon of fuel to motion, leaving less waste heat. Someone mentioned the shear mass of the engine and cooling system, which no doubt is also a factor in diesels running cooler than gasoline engines of similar horse power. e/m

captaincrab55

Rampage_Rick said:
Right now I've got an LR4 4.8L Vortec in my truck. Should that go south I'd pick up a diesel at the wrecker and stick it in.
I don't think the front end in your truck will support the added weight of a diesel.. Don't forget the tranny to match and also check the rear. U may be better off buying a truck built for a diesel!..

nolabama

I just looked at new ford vans and the difference in diesel price is about 8k to 10k more - i drive a gas burning '05 chevy and a diesel '86 ford one ton its sad to say that the chevy is broke down at the shop with 65000 miles on it and i'm driving the 86 with 500,000 miles on it say whatever but the diesel will last longer and burn less fuel doing it - it all depends on how your accountant can depriciate the vehicle and your personal preference - diesel will always tow more and use less fuel doing it (you dont see any gas big trucks do you ) I have driven a lot of vehicles and the 05 chevy was a result of being in diesels for a long time i was tired of the stinking fuel and the extra noise but after driving the gas truck i wish i would have bought the duramax

Energy-Miser

nolabama said:
I just looked at new ford vans and the difference in diesel price is about 8k to 10k more - i drive a gas burning '05 chevy and a diesel '86 ford one ton its sad to say that the chevy is broke down at the shop with 65000 miles on it and i'm driving the 86 with 500,000 miles on it say whatever but the diesel will last longer and burn less fuel doing it - it all depends on how your accountant can depriciate the vehicle and your personal preference - diesel will always tow more and use less fuel doing it (you dont see any gas big trucks do you ) I have driven a lot of vehicles and the 05 chevy was a result of being in diesels for a long time i was tired of the stinking fuel and the extra noise but after driving the gas truck i wish i would have bought the duramax
Yes good testimonial for diesel. I have heard that they go through more front tires due to extra engine weight. But if the vehicle lasts nearly 10 times as many miles as the gasoline engine, then the payoff will much more than just make up for a few extra sets of tires, or extra quarts of oil, etc. One more thing in favor of diesel is that we may have bio-diesel more widely available in the future. Bio-diesel from soy is domestic production, which helps our farmers earn a better living, and is environmentally better than fossil based fuel. e/m

Last edited:

electricmanscott

Energy-Miser said:
Yes good testimonial for diesel. I have heard that they go through more front tires due to extra engine weight.

Duh. I work with a plumber that drives a diesel and he goes through alot of tires. I never even thought about that. He also drives like a maniac which doesn't help the situation.

tonyou812

My sprinter has an electric auxiliary heater so i get some kind of heat when i first turn it on. and as far as mileage on my diesel engine I get around 20- 21 I think. Every time the gas light comes on i still have around 4 and 1/2 gallons in the tank. so it could be 23 I'm not really sure. But i have it loaded with steel shelves and a decent amount of stock and and extension and 12 footer on top, but the engine still feels strong. I'm very impressed at the noise level too. The last ford diesel I worked out of was so loud , my sprinter is barely audible. I love that i can stand up from my seat and walk into the back without bending over all the time.

MAK

electricmanscott said:
Duh. I work with a plumber that drives a diesel and he goes through alot of tires. I never even thought about that. He also drives like a maniac which doesn't help the situation.
Cheap tires will wear out faster too. Especially if they are way over loaded! Boss would always buy the wrong tires (not rated for the weight we were hauling) to save a few bucks upfront. Sometimes only after 10,000 miles and the tires would be thrashed. Started buying truck tires with heavier side walls and the last so much longer.

active1

Originally Posted by Rampage_Rick

Right now I've got an LR4 4.8L Vortec in my truck. Should that go south I'd pick up a diesel at the wrecker and stick it in.

Unless you want a new hobby don't try to convert a gas to diesel.
So many things are diffrent.
Fuel tank, fuel pump, fuel lines, radiator, radiator mounting, fan, hoses, brackets, engine mounts, starter, alternator, extra battery, wiring harness, computer, ehaust system, transmission, brake booster, front springs, etc.

Unless you had 2 similuar trucks side by side you will spend a small fortune on the above. Salvage yards can be hit or miss on getting a good part. Many times small parts on the outside of an engine get destroied by their removal at a yard. More parts to track down. It would take a lot of labor to do. The days of a simple Olds 5.7 diesel to Olds 350 gas are gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.