Different services for a town-home type build-out?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cadpoint

There are several ways to do this. You can install 1 service, 2 services, or 4 services.

Well that got me thinking who want's to look at that, out there back door in their multiplex. I guess one could build a meter
bank and tunnel it all in. Most Power company's don't like paying from the tranny to the meter, put it all together.
Duke Energy and other Poco's have Service Diagrams for construction they're not that hard to find.

Duke has a 130 pg Florida PDF.
https://www.duke-energy.com/home upright is a choice of States.

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
I believe having 1 service with 4 meters in the same location is the cleanest way to do this. Without getting into any special type of permission from anyone.
I believe having 1 service with 4 meters in the same location is the cleanest way to do this. Without getting into any special type of permission from anyone.
I'll ask again, is this a "town house" that is actually a condo in the legal sense or is it a true town house that is just attached to an adjoining structure? This has a big impact on the way the service is supplied (as well as other utilities).

kwired

Electron manager
I'll ask again, is this a "town house" that is actually a condo in the legal sense or is it a true town house that is just attached to an adjoining structure? This has a big impact on the way the service is supplied (as well as other utilities).
NEC would still allow separate service to each in a multi tenant situation. Fire walls and construction methods would fall on other codes, crossing other properties with services is mostly local zoning issues more so than any building code. Now the building code inspector(s) might also enforce such rules but they would be citing local zoning laws when there is violations and not an NFPA code or similar.

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
NEC would still allow separate service to each in a multi tenant situation. Fire walls and construction methods would fall on other codes, crossing other properties with services is mostly local zoning issues more so than any building code. Now the building code inspector(s) might also enforce such rules but they would be citing local zoning laws when there is violations and not an NFPA code or similar.
You're talking in circles. This is real simple. If it is a real townhouse where the ownership is that unit and the land it is on all the way to the roof then nothing for an adjoining unit can go on, in or through that unit. Each unit gets its own service and other utilities directly to that unit. Just like a single family dwelling. Been this way for over a hundred years. On the other hand, if this is really a condo that is just built townhouse style then you could do as the OP indicates in post #20. I'll say it again, the legal ownership structure dictates you can serve these units.

kwired

Electron manager
You're talking in circles. This is real simple. If it is a real townhouse where the ownership is that unit and the land it is on all the way to the roof then nothing for an adjoining unit can go on, in or through that unit. Each unit gets its own service and other utilities directly to that unit. Just like a single family dwelling. Been this way for over a hundred years. On the other hand, if this is really a condo that is just built townhouse style then you could do as the OP indicates in post #20. I'll say it again, the legal ownership structure dictates you can serve these units.
I was thinking about who owns what on the exterior?
I sure that can vary, but maybe is part of the technical definitions of townhouse vs condo?

Isn't in nearly all such cases there certain common items that are essentially community property and you generally do pay something into some sort of homeowners association to help manage those things. Things like lawn care, sidewalk maintenance or repairs as needed, maybe snow removal.

My son once owned one these units probably maybe six units per building. Units were probably only 16-20 feet wide. Is there places where in that case each owner takes care of their 16-20 foot wide portion of the lawn? He definitely did not do that at his place.

Engser18

Occupation
Engineering
NEC is allowed 1-4 services. It is depend on load cal to each unit. The service conductors will be different in each case. 1 service (1000A) you will need 4-400A SD, 2 services(500-800A) - each service will need 4-200A SD, 4 services (250-400A) each 2-200A SD. 1 or 2 services may be cost affective if services conductors are not far away.

Status
Not open for further replies.