Different voltage systems in same building

Status
Not open for further replies.

ADub

Occupation
Estimator/Project Manager
OK using your own words ... :D

Just change 250.64 for 210.5 or 215.12 and ferrous for identification. :p

Strange, I assumed the OP wanted a code answer not a 'What does ADub get away wih answer' but I must have been wrong.

Oh bob. First of all I don't "get away" with anything. Our facilities operate under supervised engineering so I'm fortunate enough to not have to explain to an inspector why I used black and red for a single phase 240v system and black red blue for a three phase 208v system. I know what the code says but I think most people will hopefully let common sense prevail on this issue. I'm aware what the articles you posted say but I think many would agree that black/red for a single phase system makes much more sense than say purple/pink, regardless of what other systems are in the building. Here's a serious question- what's your thoughts on a building that has say...20+ step down transformers giving the premises multiple 480 volt and 208 volt three phase systems. Would you think a different indicating scheme is required for every system or is the same scheme sufficient for the multiple similar systems?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Oh bob. First of all I don't "get away" with anything. Our facilities operate under supervised engineering so I'm fortunate enough to not have to explain to an inspector why I used black and red for a single phase 240v system and black red blue for a three phase 208v system. I know what the code says but I think most people will hopefully let common sense prevail on this issue. I'm aware what the articles you posted say but I think many would agree that black/red for a single phase system makes much more sense than say purple/pink, regardless of what other systems are in the building. Here's a serious question- what's your thoughts on a building that has say...20+ step down transformers giving the premises multiple 480 volt and 208 volt three phase systems. Would you think a different indicating scheme is required for every system or is the same scheme sufficient for the multiple similar systems?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The code refers to voltage system, so I would lump all of the SDS of the same phase/voltage combination under one color scheme. But I would probably label the source SDS at each panel.

iwire

Staff member
Oh bob. First of all I don't "get away" with anything. Our facilities operate under supervised engineering so I'm fortunate enough to not have to explain to an inspector why I used black and red for a single phase 240v system and black red blue for a three phase 208v system.

You are getting away with breaking the code.

Supervised engineering does not allow ignoring code sections unless you have a local amendment to that effect.

That said, I do not always follow color codes, I sometimes violate the rules and get away with it. I do not try to tell myself it is not a violation.

I know what the code says but I think most people will hopefully let common sense prevail on this issue. I'm aware what the articles you posted say but I think many would agree that black/red for a single phase system makes much more sense than say purple/pink, regardless of what other systems are in the building.

I do not agree with that at all, I also do not see any 'common sense' in using the same colors that are already in use.

Here's a serious question- what's your thoughts on a building that has say...20+ step down transformers giving the premises multiple 480 volt and 208 volt three phase systems. Would you think a different indicating scheme is required for every system or is the same scheme sufficient for the multiple similar systems?

And a serious answer, if I went looking I could probably find a thread I started asking the very same question.

I think George Stolz even put in a proposal about it. I think the CMP said each voltage must be identified not each system.

However that, as you noticed, is not what the NEC says. :happyno:

Last edited:

ADub

Occupation
Estimator/Project Manager
You are getting away with breaking the code.

Supervised engineering does not allow ignoring code sections unless you have a local amendment to that effect.

That said, I do not always follow color codes, I sometimes violate the rules and get away with it. I do not try to tell myself it is not a violation.

I do not agree with that at all, I also do not see any 'common sense' in using the same colors that are already in use.

And a serious answer, if I went looking I could probably find a thread I started asking the very same question.

I think George Stolz even put in a proposal about it. I think the CMP said each voltage must be identified not each system.

However that, as you noticed, is not what the NEC says. :happyno:

I never said we were exempt from any nec codes, the simple fact is our work isn't inspected by some city, state, or county inspector. We have very rigorous installation standards to maintain and our projects are scrutinized by a dozen different people before it's over- BUT not in regards of this subject. Someone must have thought there were more important things to fuss over. But you'll get no argument from me- you are completely correct on what is actually required

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.