Difficulty of NICET 1 test?

Status
Not open for further replies.

07Kingpin

Hello all!

I'm a JW that has primarily done residential and commercial with a spattering of other things here and there.

Looking to get more into the LV side of things so interested in NICET licensing.

Going over the requirements I'd say I mostly meet level II but definitely level I.

That being the case I'd like to pursue a level I sooner than later.

What would be a good way to gauge my preparedness for the test to determine if I could be ready now or might need more training?

I've looked for sample questions etc without much luck, any tips greatly appreciated.

Fire Pro

Occupation
Owner/CEO of Fire Pro
I know NICET has a sheet package on their website of areas they recommend someone be familiar with at each level. I went off of it but in my case I'd say it wasn't completely accurate. On some of the levels there were definitely some surprise questions I wasn't expecting. Keeps you on your toes... Good luck.

07Kingpin

Thanks for the reply.

I saw that on their site, was hoping to find something a little more representative of what the actual questions/scope is.

Know of anywhere that has sample questions etc?

Thanks, Matt.

Fire Pro

Occupation
Owner/CEO of Fire Pro
They sell sample questions on their site. A guy I worked with bought them for his level 1 and he said it's hard to gauge what exactly "similar questions" would be and of course they don't give you the same ones on the test. There are a couple other websites you can find them on too. I meant to say this in my first reply to you earlier though, if you feel confident enough for level 2 then I don't think you'd have any issues with level 1. The best advice I can give is be familiar with your books because some of the questions get really specific and you want to make sure you read verbatim and answer verbatim. Hope that helps.

ryant35

Fire Tech has prep classes for NICET levels 1-3
https://firetech.com/fire-alarm/

The current NICET tests include a decent amount of OSHA safety questions and the Fire Tech prep includes information from OSHA.

NICET tests are based on general knowledge and understanding of the code, based on the amount of time you have been in the industry.
Being familiar with how NFPA 72 & NEC work will also be a big help. Tab and highlight your book while you are doing your prep so you can reference it quickly.
My copy of NFPA 72 has around 30 tabs and it's been to a dozen NICET tests with everyone at my company.

07Kingpin

Hey just an update, passed my NICET today, so thanks!

Test was definitely harder than I thought it would be but the prep really payed off.

Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.