Digital Electric Meter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Npstewart

Good afternoon,

I visited an existing site for a small renovation we are doing. I noticed there are two existing ground mounted transformers at the site (one small, one large) right next to each other. The service is a 800A 3 phase service. The arrangement looks like a high leg delta service so I called the POCO to confirm but the problem is that my POCO never calls me back and when they do its usually 3 days later. Is there anyway to tell from the meter? The meter says 240v above the 3 phases so I figured that may be a hint but then again that may just be the highest voltage allowed on that meter...Anyone know? My guess is probably not but I figured it couldnt hurt to ask. Either way I will confirm eventually.

Thanks!

Attachments

• meter.jpg
    meter.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 0

Rampage_Rick

Generally speaking these Itron meters will indicate the line voltage on the LCD. If it says 240V then there's a good chance that's what you're working with. I'm not sure how it works with a high-leg though. Another possibility is that they're using PTs to drop the voltage (up here in Canada we have 600V service, but the Itron meters only go to 480V)

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
Good afternoon,

I visited an existing site for a small renovation we are doing. I noticed there are two existing ground mounted transformers at the site (one small, one large) right next to each other. The service is a 800A 3 phase service. The arrangement looks like a high leg delta service so I called the POCO to confirm but the problem is that my POCO never calls me back and when they do its usually 3 days later. Is there anyway to tell from the meter? The meter says 240v above the 3 phases so I figured that may be a hint but then again that may just be the highest voltage allowed on that meter...Anyone know? My guess is probably not but I figured it couldnt hurt to ask. Either way I will confirm eventually.

Thanks!

One large and one small pad mount xformer would be a good indication of a 240/120 4 wire service. But 800 amp? That is pretty large for a POCO to do this. But then again, maybe the xformers are unrelated-hard to tell with pad mount at a glance.
Can't you just check the voltages to confirm?
You mention that the POCO is hard to communicate with. I find this very troubling and more and more the norm. They are becoming like the Federal Government and could care less about the customer or contractor. I'm lucky in that I regularly work with a very large investor owned POCO that does not have this attitude. I can call them and get an answer from someone in authority without delay.

resistance

Here is what the meter spec says in short: Voltage Input Rating
  • Automatic voltage-sensing power supply,available in single-phase or three-phase
  • Single-phase power supply operatesover a voltage input range of 120-480 V

Npstewart

I just got the POCO on the phone after calling them repeatedly and they confirmed it it a 240-3 delta service.

If I would have waited for them to call me back it would have taken over 3 days.

I am assuming that the large numbers indicate the peak demand kW? I always wondered that too.

fmtjfw

I just got the POCO on the phone after calling them repeatedly and they confirmed it it a 240-3 delta service.

If I would have waited for them to call me back it would have taken over 3 days.

I am assuming that the large numbers indicate the peak demand kW? I always wondered that too.

The large number displayed in your picture is running kWh -- the number of kilowatts Hours since the meter was installed (perhaps to be multiplied by the ratios of PTs and CTs).

A smaller number probably displayed with kVA is peak demand. It will contain a decimal part.

It's a class 200 meter so it is unlikely to be associated with PTs or CTs

Status
Not open for further replies.