digital loop carrier

Status
Not open for further replies.

luke warmwater

Tried to get DSL service that is available in my area. Verizon says that i have a digital loop carrier on my line(I have 3) and that carrier is not compatible with DSL. Does anybody know if I would have any other options for DSL service or what a digital loop carrier is??

dereckbc

Staff member
Re: digital loop carrier

A digital loop carrier or SLC is a method to provide POTS (plain old telephone service) to remote areas over existing copper wires. And it is not compatible with DSL.

Do you have cable TV in your area? If so, the cable system might offer a cable modem which is faster than DSL or T1.

The only other option is since your telco has a SLC they might offer T1 service, but you will pay 300 to 500 a month for a T1 line.

Good Luck

luke warmwater

Dereck, thanks for the clarity. I thought about the cable modem route. I didn't want to go with that set-up based on my brother-in-law's experience with slow speeds caused by eccesive customers. But that's what I'll probably end up with. It's still got to be better than my dial-up connection, which at best is 24K. Todd

Nick

Todd,
I have been using a cable modem since November and it?s been great. Consistent connection speeds of 750K. If I pay a little extra I could get over 1 Meg. Maybe it?s my area but I haven?t experienced the heavy usage slow down you hear about all the time. DSL is still not available at my house so I have pretty much written it off.

pwhite

luke,

in my area, you can get dsl service over the telephone line if you are within 5 miles of your internet service providers number that you dial.

for example, you can get dsl service 5 miles outside the city limits of memphis, tn.(memphis is used as an example of reference)

racraft

Where I am, cable modem service is good, but not great. The number of customers is increasing, which slows things down. When they slow down enough I complain. I suppose it has nothing to do with my complaints, but it seems they eventually install more equipment (at least they say they do) and the speed picks up again.

There seems to be a point at which they install the additional equipment. I guess the trick will be for me to get enough people to sign up so they install more equipment, and then for some of them to cancel, but not enough to get them to uninstall equipment.

dereckbc

Staff member

Luke another option might be availible, wireless. It is a emerging technology and not widely availible. But it may be an option for you.

luke warmwater

Well I broke down, and went the cable modem route. Right now, it is super fast. I just downloaded a file that I tried to dowload yesterday. I didn't have time to wait yesterday after about 4 minutes. Today, it took a whole 2 1/2 seconds. To me that's a huge difference. Thanx for everyone's input. Todd

Status
Not open for further replies.