dimmer & lighting problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

ultramegabob

Well I'm a Foridian living in Indiana, and I don't call them that, there called Chicago three ways here:roll:
I have heard them called that also, I believe it is on here where I have seen people on here refer to them as a California. I have no idea why people tag regional names on this particular three way method.... I have also heard it called a "Barn" circuit because you can use it between two buildings, using only three wires you can have a three way switch to turn a light off from each building and still have constant power for a recept.

BrianOC

just happened to be browsing through some old posts and saw this one. I had a similar experience installing a new fixture. The fixture was on a dimmer with an indicator light. I had the fixture in the off position and wound up getting zapped. Confused, i checked the dimmer switch (it was off). I then got my tester and got 110 v to neutral and ground regardless of when the switch was off and 120 when it was on. Figured it was the high resistance led indicator light being put into the circuit when the switch was off, but without the lamp in the circuit to put the led back to the source, the majority of the voltage was present on the switch leg. Although the lamp is technically on or "in the circuit" the indicator light at the switch is dropping most of the series voltage leaving the lamp at the fixture with almost nothing, which is why the lamp doesn't go on. However when I put myself between the indicator lamp and ground I posed a much more significant resistance than the lamp at the fixture does, thus I split the series voltage between myself and the indicator light. I don't know what the resistance the indicator light is but my calloused fingers must have been the more significant resistance in the circuit at the time. At least that's what i think. Maybe this was your friends case.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I'm sure we've all made this mistake at one time or another but never assume that a qualified electrician ran the wire, made the connections, installed the dimmer, etc and whatever else applies. No matter how careful you try to be there's always a chance that you'll get whacked if you don't shut off the power to that device.

Article 90.1

Re: why didn't the meter read 120 V? If there are only two wires, there is no "difference of potential," remember that term from the first day of electrical class (whatever form that may be)? Like someone else already stated, "it is the same wire." If there is no EGC in the box to reference, then you can run an extension cord from a known grounded receptacle and drag it to your box for a ground reference. But, if like others have stated, the switch is breaking the neutral, then you may not read any voltage, but you may have continuity to ground. A non-contact voltage tester may have been helpful here, if the switch wasn't breaking the neutral.

nakulak

here :grin:we call them Rhode Island 3ways, West Virginia 3ways, Kansas City 3ways, Amarillo 3ways, Panama 3ways, Homo-owner 3ways, Geeto 3ways . . .etc. Just not maryland or virginia 3ways.

btw, tell your friend to call an electrician next time, or at the very least buy some ppe.

Status
Not open for further replies.