Learn the NEC with Mike Holt now!

I dont know what a poll question is

• I dont know what a poll responce is

• I just want to post my question

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jetlag

Please Help . I always thought there was no way to use a dimmer on a 3 way because if someone left the dimmer turned all the way off on the end feeding the light fixtures that you not turn it back on from the other 3 way switch until you adjusted the dimmer to let at least some current to come thru the dimmer . A customer is telling me I am wrong . Some one told me they think it works if you install the 3 way dimmer on both ends in place of the regular 3 way switches . Maybe the 3 way dimmers are made so they wont turn all the way off to break the circuit feeding the fixture . if so I can see how it might work . I do have a dimmer on a 3 way at my own house but it is just a regular dimmer installed after the current has left the way switch that feeds the lights . but I have to remember to not use the dimmer to turn the lights off but turn the lights off with the 3 way switch , Please help . Thanks

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
The 3-way dimmer is just a 3-way switch w/dimmer, a regular/standard 3-way is on the other end. On the standard models, only one end of the 3-way can be dimmed. There is no rule against it. They do make master/slave dimmers such as Lutron's Maestro where you can dim from both ends. There are also wireless one's such as the Casetta linked to above. There are other brands but I use Lutron.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
Legrand makes a multi-location dimmer; they used to be sold as a pair in a clamshell pack. The line name is “Harmony”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Knuckle Dragger

Master Electrician Electrical Contractor 01752
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
You are correct about the traditional three-way dimmer.
They're many makes and models designed for multiple locations.
We used to call the master dimmer and slave dimmer.
Lutron Maestro and companion dimmer
Brantmacga mentioned Legrand Harmony

Lightolier used to. make a few. I believe it was a ZPR-3 or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.