Dimmer switch installed outdoor?

Have a customer with a pergola structure going in their backyard, about 150' from their house. Luckily there's a pool panel next to it I can utilize for power. This structure will have recessed LED lights in it. They obviously want to control the lights while they're at the structure. I cant find any in-wall dimmers that are approved by the manufacturer for outdoor use. Im not worried about wet rating as it would go recessed into a post with a weatherproof cover on it. Seems temperature rating is the issue as winters here get into the single digits and most devices are rated only as low as 32F. Anyone ever come across a situation like this?

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
I used a dimmer outside once and it said "indoor only". The customer wanted it installed anyway and said they would take the chance. I installed it and as far as I know it's still working. It wasn't recessed but was in a weatherproof box and cover.

letgomywago

Occupation
residential electrician
I used a dimmer outside once and it said "indoor only". The customer wanted it installed anyway and said they would take the chance. I installed it and as far as I know it's still working. It wasn't recessed but was in a weatherproof box and cover.
I have done fan speed controls outside same thing. I use a inuse cover with the doors still on. It was always in a damp but not wet location

James L

Occupation
Electrician
I've installed quite a few dimmers outside.
Not necessarily open to the elements, but on screened porches and inside cabanas - definitely exposed to humidity and temperatures between -5⁰ and 110⁰

I've used flip covers and can't remember ever having a call-back

tthh

Occupation
Retired Engineer
If the dimmer position isn't often changed, you can also install this in an appropriate box downstream of a regular outdoor rated switch.

synchro

Occupation
EE
How about a well-protected dimmer with a wireless remote?

Also could have a well protected Lutron Maestro dimmer, and then a companion dimmer in a more exposed location. I believe a companion dimmer is only a couple of mechanical switches and two diodes. And so there's less opportunity for it to fail, and it should be substantially immune to temperature excursions.