Dimming Light Poles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nom Deplume

I have a customer that is building a new parking lot for his car dealership and he is going with LSI LED light poles.
He wants to dim them at certain times of the night. These heads will be provided with a 0-10 volt dimming input. Purple and gray.

I will be having two conduits underground running pole to pole from the building.
The power will be turned on and off via a lighting contactor.

I am not getting much help with the dimming equipment and I am having a hard time finding what I need.

Can anyone recommend the dimming equipment that I may need?
I was planning on power to the poles in one conduit and the 0-10v signal in the other from the building.
There will be 6 double headed poles per circuit and 6 circuits.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
Dimming on an LED is typically done on the load side of the driver, by changing the driver current to the LED.
Its pretty common to see this with wireless PEs that can control and turn on/off or use motion detectors

BSK3720

Simple is always good. What about dual switching to turn off one head per pole? We've done it on MH in the past.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
The easiest way would be to get fixtures that have a dual level instead of dimmable fixtures. These usually have two input wires. Turn on one wire, and you get 1/2 light output (or maybe 1/3). Turn on the other wire, and you get full light output.

If you have to stick with the dimmable fixtures, you probably need a dimmer that has two preset levels, and one that works with a time clock to automatically dim the lights.

I would check with LC&D, and see if they have something that will do what you want. They make lighting control panels, and I know they make a dimming panel. They question is do they make both - a timer and dimmer panel that will automatically switch between two different dimming levels. You can contact them here:

http://www.lightingcontrols.com/index.asp

By the way, I don't think you need separate conduits. Since the 0-10 volt signal is a dedicated signal to the ballasts, I think it can be ran in the same conduit with the power wiring.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
By the way, I don't think you need separate conduits. Since the 0-10 volt signal is a dedicated signal to the ballasts, I think it can be ran in the same conduit with the power wiring.
As long as it is insulated to the same voltage as the power wires, of course.

gar

Occupation
EE
140711-0747 EDT

What is the question in the original post?

Is the question how to work with a 0-10 V dimming control signal because the lights have been purchased and that is what must be used?

Or is the question how can LED lights be dimmed in this application?

Assuming 0-10 V must be used, then there are several questions.

1. Is the 0-10 V input isolated from the AC (assumed) voltage supply?
2. If so, then what is the isolation voltage rating? 1000 V, 5000 V, or more?
3. Is this rating adequate for the application? Lightning strikes.

4. Can the 0-10 V inputs be paralleled? I would assume yes.
5. With paralleled inputs a simple single 0-10 V adjustable power supply can be control the lights. The power supply must be able to supply the total current of the paralled inputs at 10 V. If the input resistance of each fixture is 10,000 ohms and there are 100 paralleled inputs, then the load resistance is 100 ohms, and at 10 V that is 100 mA or 0.1 A.
6. Then there is the need for a controller to adjust the power supply output voltage based on some control program.

Again what is the real question of the original post?

iwire

Staff member
It sounds to me like the customer is providing light fixtures with 0-10 volt dimming. This is very common and nothing out of the ordinary. You can get many controls for these.

https://www.google.com/search?q=LSI...10+volt+dimmer&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/0-10_V_lighting_control

I know the OP personally and he is a sharp guy, I believe the question he is asking is how to code compliantly bring the 0-10 volt signal wiring out to each pole and what type of automated control can he use.

I suspect the owner wants full brightness at some times and reduced level during other hours. If that is the case he needs a controller with timing functions. That was why I suggested the Hubbell wireless system.

Nom Deplume

Yes these are owner supplied fixtures and we are installing a second conduit to all of the poles.
There will be 2 heads per pole and 6 poles per circuit.
The driver load will be 450ma per head.
These are LSI LED fixtures type XGBM

They want full output at sunset and 50% after 11pm.

The fixtures are available with stepped control. That sounds like a better application rather than full on dimming since they only want two levels.
We can use the second conduit for the dimming control.

The customer was clear about not wanting or trusting wireless. I contacted the Lutron rep to design a system for us.

This is for one of the largest car dealers in MA with 52 locations of different makes.
I will let you know what we end up doing on this job.

Last edited:

Nom Deplume

We are going to be installing a Lutron dimming panel for the parking lot light poles.
These are 0-10v dimming modules built into the fixtures.

It is about 700' to our last pole.

Does the 0-10v cable need to be twisted shielded, twisted pair or individual conductors?
We have a separate conduit running with the power conduits for this.

What size wire should this control cable be?

Brian S.

0-10 v dimmg

0-10 v dimmg

We are going to be installing a Lutron dimming panel for the parking lot light poles.
These are 0-10v dimming modules built into the fixtures.

It is about 700' to our last pole.

Does the 0-10v cable need to be twisted shielded, twisted pair or individual conductors?
We have a separate conduit running with the power conduits for this.

What size wire should this control cable be?

A little background with 0-10v dimming when the fixture see 10vdc the light output is at the dimmest setting, on some fixtures even off. 0vdc the light is the brightest. if you connect the purple to gray the light will dim or turn off depending on the fixture. I would run at least 18 Awg, if its going to be in its own conduit individual conductors should be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.