Direct Burial Generator/Feeder Sizes

I have a few questions because I’m installing the first generator that I couldn’t buy cable for and now I have to select each wire that runs from the generator to the ATS. In advance, I swear I’m not a novice, this is just my first time responsible for designing each conductor.

Can I downsize the neutral? My ungrounded conductors coming off of the generator 150A breaker are (all copper) 1/0. Can I make the grounded conductor be a #2? And does the ground fall under 250.122 or 250.66?

Do generator feeders fall under the same category on table 300.5 as UF for burial depth? I already have a pipe that someone else installed that runs almost all the way to the generator and I have to fish these difficult wires through so I’m thinking of pulling through the existing pipe but not continuing the pipe and instead just making the trench get deeper than the pipe and running URD the rest of the way to the generator. The reason I ask is because at 24” to the top of the cable I’m usually running a 20A UF circuit or the like and this is much bigger so I thought there may be another standard for depth. Like when the utility runs direct burial I know they’re deeper than 24” to the top of the wires.

If anyone can answer all of this they might as well just do the job for me too. Thanks in advance!

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
220.61 addresses the neutral and 300.5 does address your depth.

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
Don’t forget your control wiring, charging circuits and block heater! If it’s a Kohler, they will not warrant it if the control wires are in the same conduit as the power wires. If Genercrap, they don’t seem to care.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician

Can I downsize the neutral? My ungrounded conductors coming off of the generator 150A breaker are (all copper) 1/0. Can I make the grounded conductor be a #2? And does the ground fall under 250.122 or 250.66?

The neutral is sized based on the larger of 220.61 or 215.2(A)(2).