Direct Current Ceiling Fans

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greg1707

Occupation
Business owner Electrical contractor
I installed a couple of ceiling fans with DC motors. This is new to me. Ceiling fans have been around a long time. Direct Current has been around even longer. What's up with them getting together in 2020?

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Probably direct drive electronically commutated motor rather than a simple DC universal motor. Gives more torque at low speeds and easier control.
If it is simple direct current, I have no idea why.

Fred B

Occupation
Electrician
I installed a couple of ceiling fans with DC motors. This is new to me. Ceiling fans have been around a long time. Direct Current has been around even longer. What's up with them getting together in 2020?
I've used them a few times, primarily in high cathedral ceiling, it allows remote reverse of fan direction, customer didn't want to get a large step ladder to seasonally change the switch to reverse. One we had a 3 level scaffold to reach it to install. Definitely not going to reach with a step ladder.
AFA any other feature that would entice someone to want the DC fan I can't ssy.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Did you feed them with DC then? If so, were was the DC from? Solar? That's happening in some cases now.

If you fed it with AC, I think GoldDigger is likely right, it's an ECM which is, to over simplify it, a permanent magnet DC motor with a built in DC drive unit. ECMs are significantly more efficient than AC motors for things like fans, albeit at a price premium.

Status
Not open for further replies.