Disco & Protection

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
Have to provide GFCI protection for loads being fed from a disconnect switch. We have no breakers, only disconnect switches.
So since we cant install GFCI breakers how could be provide GFCI protection in this disconnect switch scenario.
We do have one main breaker at the source feeding all the disconnects. Would making that GFCI offer GFCI protection downstream? Thanks

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
I think you are dealing with some bad input.
It's a rare situation where you need GFCI protection above 60 amps GFCI protection other than receptacles & breakers is very expensive.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
I think you are dealing with some bad input.
It's a rare situation where you need GFCI protection above 60 amps GFCI protection other than receptacles & breakers is very expensive.
One scenario. I have 400Abreaker feeding 400A disconnect feeding multiple 30A disconnects via taps. The loads being fed from the 30A disconnects need to be GFCI protected.

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
One scenario. I have 400Abreaker feeding 400A disconnect feeding multiple 30A disconnects via taps. The loads being fed from the 30A disconnects need to be GFCI protected.
Surely it would better in that scenario to use multiple 30A "spa" disconnects that incorporate GFCI. Or what David said (which could be in lieu of disconnects if the disconnects can all be together, or in addition to disconnects if the disconnects need to be spread out spatially).

Cheers, Wayne

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
Surely it would better in that scenario to use multiple 30A "spa" disconnects that incorporate GFCI. Or what David said (which could be in lieu of disconnects if the disconnects can all be together, or in addition to disconnects if the disconnects need to be spread out spatially).

Cheers, Wayne
What do you mean by "use multiple 30A "spa" disconnects that incorporate GFCI."?

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
What do you mean by "use multiple 30A "spa" disconnects that incorporate GFCI."?
I was referring to making your 30A disconnects something like this:

Where you replace the 50A GFCI breaker with a 30A GFCI breaker.

Unless the voltage level is higher than 120/240V?

Cheers, Wayne

Status
Not open for further replies.