Disconnect EGC?

Scottie P

New User
Occupation
National Director of QC and Training
I apologize because I am new to actually being able to ask a question, but I can not find the answer anywhere in here and I thought this would be the best way to get opinions or facts.

My opinion that I thought was based in fact is that EVERY metal enclosure that I pass voltage through, (120/240 in this instance), requires an EGC. I am in a debate that I need solved because their opinion is based on "If they required it, the disconnect manufacturer would provide at least a chair lug". As we all know, some do and some do not, and most offer them as an extra kit "sold separately" so their disconnects appear "cheaper" than their competitors.

For this pictures, there is a breaker supplying the OCPD going into this 2pole disconnect, it is the single point of disconnect for the rooftop PV system. I believe that the enclosure, regardless of the bonding bushings for conduit must have a point for an EGC. Am I correct, or can the ground pass through?

Feeling like a rookie,
Scottie P

I apologize because I am new to actually being able to ask a question, but I can not find the answer anywhere in here and I thought this would be the best way to get opinions or facts.

My opinion that I thought was based in fact is that EVERY metal enclosure that I pass voltage through, (120/240 in this instance), requires an EGC. I am in a debate that I need solved because their opinion is based on "If they required it, the disconnect manufacturer would provide at least a chair lug". As we all know, some do and some do not, and most offer them as an extra kit "sold separately" so their disconnects appear "cheaper" than their competitors.

For this pictures, there is a breaker supplying the OCPD going into this 2pole disconnect, it is the single point of disconnect for the rooftop PV system. I believe that the enclosure, regardless of the bonding bushings for conduit must have a point for an EGC. Am I correct, or can the ground pass through?

Feeling like a rookie,
Scottie P
An enclosure may be bonded by an 250.118 raceway. IF you have a wire EGC passing through the enclosure, see 250.148.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Welcome to the forum.

Yes, metallic enclosures must be bonded/grounded.

As was said above, the EGC can be a metallic conduit or a conductor.