disconnect for heating load (over 300VA)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mshields

adding 750W, 120V heaters to bathrooms in a hospital. I know if you have loads less than 300VA or 1/8HP, you don't need a local disconnect. So for a single phase load like this, I would be inclined to include a thermal switch. a) do you agree and b) does that switch have to be visible (can I put it above the ceiling for example) and c) Can the units ON/OFF switch serve as the disconnect?

kwired

Electron manager
adding 750W, 120V heaters to bathrooms in a hospital. I know if you have loads less than 300VA or 1/8HP, you don't need a local disconnect. So for a single phase load like this, I would be inclined to include a thermal switch. a) do you agree and b) does that switch have to be visible (can I put it above the ceiling for example) and c) Can the units ON/OFF switch serve as the disconnect?

a. see 424.30 thermostat switch can be used if it has a positive off position and breaks all ungrounded conductors to the appliance and can not automatically close when placed in the "off" position.

b, it needs to be within sight of the appliance

c. see 424.19(C). Unit switch is acceptable if it indicates off position and opens all ungrounded conductors to the appliance.

Status
Not open for further replies.