disconnect line/load swap

Status
Not open for further replies.

jumathum

I have a 1200 amp three phase disconnect that due to space restraints I was forced to bring the load in the top and the line in the side at the bottom half of the enclosure. Is there anything in the NEC that requires the top lugs to receive only the line or can this be swapped.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Picture yourself pulling the handle to the "off" position and then changing the fuses.

pfalcon

Picture yourself pulling the handle to the "off" position and then changing the fuses.

is it marked LINE / LOAD

Beyond the above, if you were to attempt to reverse feed in my plant then I would make you rewire it - violation or not. ELs have good reason not to be lazy but there are still those around. I don't want a death at my site caused by a lazy EL who pulls the disconnect, sees the panel lights go out, and then tries to unwire the bottom side of the disconnect without checking for voltage. And I despise virtually every sign that doesn't come from God. Particularly a guy dancing on electrons because someone thought it more convenient to wire the disconnect backwards. That's a really bad sign.

Jim W in Tampa

Beyond the above, if you were to attempt to reverse feed in my plant then I would make you rewire it - violation or not. ELs have good reason not to be lazy but there are still those around. I don't want a death at my site caused by a lazy EL who pulls the disconnect, sees the panel lights go out, and then tries to unwire the bottom side of the disconnect without checking for voltage. And I despise virtually every sign that doesn't come from God. Particularly a guy dancing on electrons because someone thought it more convenient to wire the disconnect backwards. That's a really bad sign.

If marked as line / load then is no choice. If has fuse then no choice. If it is not marked (not likely) then i believe you could put line on bottom.
As far as anyone getting hurt, if he does not check voltage first he should not be touching this job as he is not qualified.

iwire

Staff member
Jim with disconnect switches you cannot bottom feed them with or without markings.

Breakers can be bottom fed if they are not marked line and load.

Jim W in Tampa

Jim with disconnect switches you cannot bottom feed them with or without markings.

Breakers can be bottom fed if they are not marked line and load.

I am thinking more along the line of a regular snap swirch that is marked on and off. Also some pullout disconnects do not have a bottom or top but they will likely be marked load / line. Never seen any real disconnects that were not marked.

pfalcon

If marked as line / load then is no choice. If has fuse then no choice. If it is not marked (not likely) then i believe you could put line on bottom.
As far as anyone getting hurt, if he does not check voltage first he should not be touching this job as he is not qualified.

I'm not arguing with your observation. I'm just saying I'm at a strong union plant and qualified here is probably less than you desire.

Jim W in Tampa

I'm not arguing with your observation. I'm just saying I'm at a strong union plant and qualified here is probably less than you desire.

And unqualified can easily land you a dead union member. Actually i think chances are higher that a union man is more qualified than what we see from non union companies. Don't want either killed or injured.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
I am thinking more along the line of a regular snap swirch that is marked on and off. Also some pullout disconnects do not have a bottom or top but they will likely be marked load / line. Never seen any real disconnects that were not marked.
On and Off markings are not the same as Line and Load markings.

The NEC prohibition for fusible switches deals with the blades and fuses being 'live' after the device is operated. It is possible to get large (>1200A) fusible switches that are designed for bottom feed.

Relatively very few devices, except fusible ones, are actually marked with "line and load" designations.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I concur with the do-it-right guys here. I still get the willies when I see a main breaker at the bottom.

And I despise virtually every sign that doesn't come from God. Particularly a guy dancing on electrons because someone thought it more convenient to wire the disconnect backwards. That's a really bad sign.
Oh, don't hold back. Tell us how you really feel. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.