Disconnect Requirements

Status
Not open for further replies.

eds

Ground mounted solar panels about 100’ from residence. All inverters, combiner panels at rack location. Is a disconnect required at point of entrance into the residence? Enters into the basement and goes 50’ before exiting thru the rim joist and entering the disconnect next to the meter location

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
Assuming this is a grid-interactive system only, that immediately ceases to output any voltage when disconnected...

I would say no.

eds

Output is still there charging the power walls in the event of a power outage, just not being fed back to the utility side, correct? Not involved in a lot of solar, mainly curious.

eds

Ground mounted solar panels and inverters, combiner approx 100’ from residence. Enters thru the rim joist travels 50’ as ser thru basement, exits rim joist via lb and enters exterior disconnect. Exits exterior disconnect renters basement to tesla gateway lands on a 50 amp breaker I believe.

3 power walls are involved: each power wall lands on a 30 amp breaker in a main lug panel. From mainlug panel ser cable is run to gateway and terminated on a 100 amp breaker.

320 meter can 200 runs to one panel, other 200, feeds 200 amp breaker in gateway, from gateway to other 200 amp panel.

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
Sounds like the feeder to the solar array shuts down when both utility and powerwalls are disconnected. Therefore you don't need a disconnect where the solar circuit enters the building, because it doesn't really supply the building. In my opinion.

eds

Just for my own knowledge, if I shut off the solar breaker in the gateway does that turn off the production from the solar field?

Status
Not open for further replies.