Disconnect switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

guschash

I put a meter/disconnect switch on my daughters house in Colorado and now the inspector says I need to put a disconnect beside it. I just need to disconnect the phases right not the neutral too. Thanks for your input.

guschash

Disconnect

Disconnect

I don't know why he wants another disconnect. I am from Ohio I thought meter/disconnect was ok but I guess they now a separate disconnect in Colorado .
I don't see the point but he's the inspector.

guschash

When I put in this separate disconnect in it will make my meter/disconnect a sup panel. Which means I have to separate the neutrals and grounds.Lot of work.

jap

Occupation
Electrician
When I put in this separate disconnect in it will make my meter/disconnect a sup panel. Which means I have to separate the neutrals and grounds.Lot of work.

He may be wanting the disconnect ahead of your meter/main.

If it's non fused, I don't see where that would change anything on the load side of the meter as far as grounding and bonding.

JAP>

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician

You shouldn't be afraid to ask the inspector why he wants another disconnect when the meter/main is a disconnect. Explain that to him and ask WHY! If he says you must, ask him to show you a local amendment or some such as the code does not require it.
Belt and suspenders!

jap

Occupation
Electrician
Do I need to switch the neutral or can I just switch the hots?

We need to know more about your situation.

Please let us know why and where the inspector wants this disconnect added.

When I hear a question such as "Do I need to switch the neutral or just the hots" it makes me feel like we are somehow talking about a Transfer Switch instead of and additional Service Disconnect.

Which would make this thread make much more sense.

JAP>

Status
Not open for further replies.