Disconnecting Means NFPA 70E

Status
Not open for further replies.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I have fan coil heating/AC units, control panels, motor starters and other equipment with integral disconnecting means under NFPA 70E (which the jurisdiction has not adopted) would these all require a separate disconnect next to the equipment with the integral disconnect if they did adopt NFPA 70E?

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I have fan coil heating/AC units, control panels, motor starters and other equipment with integral disconnecting means under NFPA 70E (which the jurisdiction has not adopted) would these all require a separate disconnect next to the equipment with the integral disconnect if they did adopt NFPA 70E?

I don't believe they can "adopt" NFPA70E.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems

NFPA70E is a 'what needs to be done' not a 'this is how to do it' standard.
You must make sure the power is off, where and how you do it is up to you and other codes and standards.
You must wear appropriate PPE for the hazard, how you determine the hazard, (e.g. shock and incident energy) is up to you.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
NFPA70E is a 'what needs to be done' not a 'this is how to do it' standard.
You must make sure the power is off, where and how you do it is up to you and other codes and standards.
You must wear appropriate PPE for the hazard, how you determine the hazard, (e.g. shock and incident energy) is up to you.

So is there a requirement that the entire piece of equipment be de-energized including the line side of the integral disconnect? For example in the photo below what would be required to work on this equipment with the integral disconnect in the open (OFF) position?

Lug Retighten.jpg

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
So is there a requirement that the entire piece of equipment be de-energized including the line side of the integral disconnect? For example in the photo below what would be required to work on this equipment with the integral disconnect in the open (OFF) position?

View attachment 22322

Not being able to see inside, I don't know for sure, but I don't think that you could consider the enclosure as being "safe" or "de-energized" just because the disconnect was open.

mayanees

Occupation
Electrical Engineer and Master Electrician

I think the requirement for disconnects will be from NFPA 70, NEC.

NFPA 70E, Standard for Electrical Safety in the Workplace is a National Consensus Safety Standard, and as such is in effect when issued. It's not a regulation or law, but OSHA uses it to enforce electrical safety so it makes sense to use it. As Jim D points out, it's the how-to for safely operating electrical systems.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems

Hard to tell without seeing the inside.
NFPA 70E requires you to perform a risk analysis. In particular you need to determine the shock hazard as well as the incident energy hazard. For example, finger safe or barriered terminals on the disconnect may reduce or eliminate a shock hazard, but it depends on the task being performed. I think all bets would be off, if you were pushing fish tapes or wires into the enclosure.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
I don't see where the NFPA 70E makes any hardware requirements at all, but it does say that equipment must be put into an electrically safe condition before being serviced. Whether or not your disconnect fulfills that purpose or not would be part of a risk assessment.

Judging from the style of handle, it appears to not be the kind that mechanically interlocks with the cover to ensure that the power is disconnected before the cover can be removed, but that's not for absolute sure, I agree you would need to see the insides to determine that. We do know however that it does not provide a means of LO/TO, so that alone may make it problematic from a safety standpoint.

Status
Not open for further replies.