Disconnecting means

Status
Not open for further replies.

patpappas

I have been searching (NEC) to find when or where a disconnect for a transformer should be placed, transformer is located over a panel w/main breaker, primary is 30' away and in another room.

raider1

Staff member
I agree with Gus.

The proper question should be where in the NEC does it say that a transformer requires a disconnecting means within sight from the transformer.

Chris

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
When I see the phrase, "disconnecting means," I envision a device capable of turning something off, without necessarily providing overcurrent protection. More to the point, and as an example, even if a motor and its branch circuit conductors are protected against overcurrent, we still need to put a disconnect within sight of the motor. I don't think a transformer is required to have such a thing. It must be protected against overcurrent. But the device that accomplishes that mission need not be within sight.

patpappas

The "in sight" was what started the argument about the disconnect. My point was where do you find it in the NEC, I could not.

raider1

Staff member
The "in sight" was what started the argument about the disconnect. My point was where do you find it in the NEC, I could not.

As I said earlier, there is no requirement for a disconnecting means for a transformer. There is a requirement for primary overcurrent protection (See 450.3) but the OCPD does not need to be "in sight of" the transformer.

Chris

raider1

Staff member
When I see the phrase, "disconnecting means," I envision a device capable of turning something off, without necessarily providing overcurrent protection. More to the point, and as an example, even if a motor and its branch circuit conductors are protected against overcurrent, we still need to put a disconnect within sight of the motor. I don't think a transformer is required to have such a thing. It must be protected against overcurrent. But the device that accomplishes that mission need not be within sight.

Well said Charlie, I agree 100%.

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.