disconnects

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwired

Electron manager
Ok so can anyone tell me where in the code book does it say you can fuse and disconnect your grounding wire

As mentioned I assume you meant grounded conductor. Grounding conductors are not permitted to have any overcurrent device installed in them, and are generally only allowed disconnection via cord and plug connections, bus plugs, or other similar situations where all circuit conductors are disconnected. Usually the grounding conductor is a longer pin in the device to ensure it is first make / last break.

In a quick search, the only place I find mentioning disconnection and overcurrent device for the grounded conductor is 230.90(B). But it must be a circuit breaker that simultaneously opens all conductors of the circuit.

I think there are other places but the same general rule applies - must simultaneously open all conductors of the circuit.

Fuses are not allowed because it is possible to blow the grounded circuit conductor fuse but other circuit conductors remain in operation.

It is probably more common to see this in applications where there is a grounded phase system.

WRBeckton

Disconnect

Disconnect

For those Who looked at my first thread I did mean grounding conductor and I am working on an L.P. Gas project and the engineer on this project has me disconnecting the ground and the disco he bought is a 4 pole fuseable

Status
Not open for further replies.