Discussion of new 2005 codes pertaining to Residential.

Status
Not open for further replies.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
Re: Discussion of new 2005 codes pertaining to Residential.

Originally posted by dnbob:
Can the motor still be plugged into a single receptacle as long as the gfi that controls it is faceless? Or are they requiring a hard wire connection with a within site disconnect?
I think he might mean "protects" instead of "controls". All the 120V tubs I've seen are cord-and-plug connected.

My question is, why the single receptacle? It's GFI protected, under a tub, generally in a hardly accessible location. I thought that was the point of putting the GFI in a more accessible location in the first place. If it trips, you won't have to do a headstand, recite Chaucer backwards and sacrifice four fingers to reset it... :)

lpg

For the last six years the inspector in Auburn Maine Has said To use a " Dead Front GFCI" (no holes) (or gfci breaker)when feeding a swimming pool. The reason he gave was that a regular gfi outlet is not listed as a motor control device. Take a look at a dead front GFI, has raised letters stating acceptable for motors up to 1.5 H.P., I don't see that on a gfci outlet. Sounds like a good idea to me to use on tubs also. Cost $14 to $16 .What's that code article that states that equipment will be used by its UL listing and mfg. instructions?

lpg

No answer yet? A gold star goes to the first one that can answer the previous post correctly! Don't be shy.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician

There is nothing in the NEC that requires a "UL" listing. There, I wasn't shy. :roll:

Roger

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician

BTW, that includes 110.3(B) ;)

Roger

lpg

TWO Gold Stars for Roger, Slip of the tongue for me. I should have said "listed or labeled". Just like when I run romex ,oops ,I mean NM cable, the product or service trademark seems to overrun the basic product name. Hope I didn't offend all the "other" testing agencies.

aelectricalman

Im not sure where it got twisted but I meant to say the Faceless GFCI is on the wall near the hot tub. The load is tied to a plug beneath the tub. Common practice. All I was impling is that the GFCI's must be faceless now, as opposed to using the 50% load requirements and placing a regular GFCI on the circuit.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager

Ace, have you seen the local code for yourself? I'll betcha 12 cents that it's just the NEC's requirement being enforced, and the rumor mill giving you bits and pieces of the whole. I know how it is, guys talk. For the past two code changes I've heard that Yankee measurements were gone, and the whole NEC had swapped over to metric. What do ya know, 2005 came out with the same style as the 2002. :)

As Scott mentioned, it's a little peculiar that you wouldn't have the option of a GFI breaker instead of the setup we normally use.

aelectricalman

Well, I forgot to say that as well. I should say that yes you can use a GFCI Breaker. I just simply implied at start that you can no longer use a GFCI Receptacle. You must use the same methods as before but the GFCI method must be faceless.

Now my original quesiton is this! Is this an NEC code change or is this just something new for KY? I do know that it is required in KY, I just don't know if its because it is a new NEC code.

romex jockey

Occupation
electrician

what's the big deal?

from what i see of the '05 , under part II, a gfi is still not required for a hardwired pool...

Status
Not open for further replies.