dish washer disconnect

Status
Not open for further replies.

david

I used the search feature on this subject and some replies seem to indicate that the lock on feature ( breaker lock ) would satisfy the requirement of a disconnect out of sight being capable of being locked in the open position.
430.102(B) Exception tells me the provision for locking or adding a lock to the disconnecting means shall be permanently installed

If we are going to except a lock on feature (breaker lock) as meeting this requirement then there would be no need to have the words in sight of in this section. All breakers are capable of accepting one of these devises.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Re: dish washer disconnect

Although the dishwasher has a motor, it's disconnecting means falls under article 422- Appliances. 422.31(B) allows the disconnecting means to be the branch circuit switch or circuit breaker that is within sight of the appliance or a provision to lock the breaker in the open position if it's not within sight. A cord and plug would also satisfy the disconnecting requirement of this section.

allenwayne

Although there are a few inspectors that would still require a breaker kock out if the cord/plug connection was whitin the space that the d/w occupies IE: access,having to remove a panel to get to it the plug/cord connection.
Most don`t care saying that as soon as you unlock the door to the d/w all possibly energized points are disconnected.This being mostly where the d/w is not next to the sink cabinet and the receptacle outlet is not under the sink but on the bottom plate mounted horrizontially behind the d/w

volt101

422.32 & 422.34 comes to light here. If the dishwasher has a marked off (not a 0 / I ) and you are in a single home with a service disconnection means (I hope so), No breaker lock is needed.

Jim

bh

per NEC 422.32 exception the on/off switch can serve as the disconnect if the breaker in not in-sight. Also, I don't believe OSHA approved the clip-on locking devices for the thermal-magnetic breakers found in most panelboards

Occupation
Inspector

I'm interested in knowing what type of cord (SJTW, SOOW etc.) you use for a cord & plug for most D/W & Disposers.

Norb

be4jc

422.34 2002 NEC A Unit swith w/ a marked-off position that is a part of an appliance and disconects ALL UNGROUNDED CONDUCTORS Shall Be permited as the disconecting means required by this article etc...
So once again the manufacturers specs. overide this section of the code!!!
I have Installed hundreds of D/W's & thats what evreryone that I've Installed has posted on every J box in the unit to disconect from the power source BECAUSE there is parts that will be energized w/ the switch in the offr position.
So if you come to my city you will have a disco w/in site or a breaker lock out ;)

tom baker

First Chief Moderator & NEC Expert
Staff member
Occupation
Master Electrician

Originally posted by 1793:
I'm interested in knowing what type of cord (SJTW, SOOW etc.) you use for a cord & plug for most D/W & Disposers.

Norb
The cord has to approved by the manufacture, its whatever they require.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator & NEC Expert
Staff member
Occupation
Master Electrician

Originally posted by 1793:

Norb
The cord has to approved by the manufacture, its whatever they require.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician

422.32 & 422.34 comes to light here. If the dishwasher has a marked off (not a 0 / I ) and you are in a single home with a service disconnection means (I hope so), No breaker lock is needed.
This would be true if the switch were a true on/off switch. But with the electronic controls on most of the new dishwashers it is highly unlikely that the entire appliance would be disconnected from it's branch circuit with the switch in the off position, therefore a disconnect, breaker lock or cord and plug would be required.

[ June 29, 2005, 07:09 PM: Message edited by: infinity ]

bh

The following was from be4jc - So if you come to my city you will have a disco w/in site or a breaker lock out.
Where do you put the disconnect?

allenwayne

I have a hernando county inspector that wants a breaker lock out if the the?ahu is in sight of the panel,this being a local mechanical code he wants a lock out since mrchanical code in this county requires one to be within 6 ft of the ahu,same inspector allows 16 ft between receptacles on one model due to window configuration.There is no place to put a recptacle.So we add a breaker lock and all is good.I could stand there and argue that the disc. isn`t required by the nec ,But he could require a receptacle as per code and that wold be a floor box :D Don`t rock the boat baby don`t rock the boat

dillon3c

Originally posted by bh:
The following was from be4jc - So if you come to my city you will have a disco w/in site or a breaker lock out.
Where do you put the disconnect?
Behind the removable kick-plate location, at bottom of dishwasher unit..

be4jc

bh: Cord & plug connected, most of the time under the kitchen sink as a matter of fact i've never seen it pluged in anywhere else! or locking breaker

In this area it is very common to have a single pole switch adjacent to the disposal switch thus serving as the dishwasher disconnect.
We were very confused after first moving here, my wife kept complaining about the intermitent dishwasher, works fine, doesn't work at all.
As a journeyman from Colorado and Oklahoma, this type of installation was new to me but understandable.

volt102

by be4jc
Manufacturers specs. More restrictive than the code supersedes and states: parts will be energized disconect from power before servicing!!! So disco must be insite of or lockout on breaker
Some parts will be energized because the unit switch is part of the unit, hence the name. They tell you to disconnect the power, simply shut off the breaker.
422.34 Unit Switch(es) as Disconnecting Means.
A unit switch(es) with a marked-off position that is a part of an appliance and disconnects all ungrounded conductors shall be permitted as the disconnecting means required by this article where other means for disconnection are provided in the following types of occupancies.
Again, very limited parts will be energized, and that's the reasoning of the "other disconnect"
(C) One-Family Dwellings. In one-family dwellings, the service disconnecting means shall be permitted to be the other disconnecting means.
The lock out language is in 422.31 and note the word permitted and also the fpn referring to units with unit switches see 422.34(posted above).
The way I see it, IMO, if the unit has a switch that is marked on/off (not I/0), the service has a disconnect, no lock-out is a permitted method of providing a disconnection means. I have yet to install a dishwasher that the instructions require a lock-out feature.

Jim

tx2step

Originally posted by be4jc:
bh: Cord & plug connected, most of the time under the kitchen sink as a matter of fact i've never seen it pluged in anywhere else! or locking breaker
That is what is common around here, too. The cord is usually run through a hole that is cut in the side of the sink cabinet between the sink and the dishwasher, and then plugged into a receptacle in the wall under the sink.

But... while I've never heard of it being cited, could this possibly be considered as a violation of 400.8(2)? The cord is being run through a hole in the side (the wall?) of the cabinet.

Status
Not open for further replies.