dish washer disconnect

Status
Not open for further replies.

tx2step

Re: dish washer disconnect

Originally posted by volt102:
Nope, see 422.16 (B) (2) (4)

Jim
Jim, You are saying that because the receptacle can be located "adjacent" to the dishwasher, then it is OK to run the cord through a hole cut into the side of the cabinet between the sink and dishwasher, right?

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor

You can also install a single-pole switch under or above the counter-top as a disconnect.

david

Although the dishwasher has a motor, its disconnecting means falls under article 422- Appliances. 422.31(B) allows the disconnecting means to be the branch circuit switch or circuit breaker that is within sight of the appliance or a provision to lock the breaker in the open position if it's not within sight. A cord and plug would also satisfy the disconnecting requirement of this section.

MY question really is focusing in on a lock on feature as found in 700.12 exception.422.31(B) does not say that a provision to lock the breaker open it says the branch circuit switch or circuit breaker is capable of being locked in the open position. IF these lock on features as found in 700.12 are expectable as meeting this requirement nothing says the have to be provided. So every appliance serviceman is going to be required to carry an assortment of lock on features to match the particular breaker style. And if the home owner chooses to repair his own appliance he hasn?t a shot at finding one of these devices.

Thanks for the replies David

volt102

David
700.12(E) exception - In a separate and uninterrupted area supplied by a minimum of three normal lighting circuits, a separate branch circuit for unit equipment shall be permitted if it originates from the same panelboard as that of the normal lighting circuits and is provided with a lock-on feature.
It does say that it has to be provided. It locks the breaker in the on position. Why would a service man carry lock-on devices to service appliances? So he/she can service the equipment live. So he/she can have a more challenging time?

by David
422.31(B) allows the disconnecting means to be the branch circuit switch or circuit breaker that is within sight of the appliance or a provision to lock the breaker in the open position if it's not within sight.
Exactly, It allows (permitted), not requires it. It can also be achieved by using the method in 422.34

The unit switch is the disconnect for the motor.
The service disconnect is the disconnect for the unit switch!

Sangre

"422.31(B) ....the branch-circuit switch or circuit breaker shall be permitted to serve as the disconnecting means where the switch or circuit breaker is within sight from the appliance or is capable or being locked in the open position. The provision for locking or adding a lock to the disconnecting means shall be installed on or at the switch or circuit breaker used as the disconnecting means and shall remain in place with or without the lock installed."

If you are going to consider the breaker as the disconnecting means then you must provide a permanently installed means of locking open the breaker..to stay in the panel.

david

Why would a service man carry lock-on devices to service appliances? So he/she can service the equipment live. So he/she can have a more challenging time?

I ?m not sure you are seeing what I am getting at. These lock on devices are commonly referred to as breaker locks. I am being told that it is expectable to use a ?breaker lock? as the means to lock a disconnect and satisfy the rule. Of course there not saying to lock the breaker on and service the appliance live. You open the breaker to off then apply the Lock on device as a breaker lock to satisfy the rule. I don?t think a service mans ability to lock open a disconnect should require specialized devices. I would think a service mans lock out would incorporate common locking methods.

You say this section says provided and I am reading only the requirement that the disconnect is capable of being locked in the open position. There must be an errata to this section that I do not have.

allenwayne

To me if we supply a breaker lock out feature.But the service tech chooses not to use it that falls in his/her basket of wooohhs.All we can do is supply the safety feature breaker lock out, cord/plug attachment ,disconnect switch
what ever we install for what should be used in the servicing of equiptment.If the service tech decides he doesn`t need to use anyone of them well that falls on him/her :cool:

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician

To me if we supply a breaker lock out feature.But the service tech chooses not to use it that falls in his/her basket of wooohhs.All we can do is supply the safety feature breaker lock out, cord/plug attachment ,disconnect switch
what ever we install for what should be used in the servicing of equiptment.If the service tech decides he doesn`t need to use anyone of them well that falls on him/her
Allen, I agree that we really don't care if the service guy uses a safety feature but we do care about following the NEC. 422.31(B) requires a disconnecting means or a breaker lock and if the service tech doesn't use it that's his/her business.

jwelectric

Originally posted by david:

MY question really is focusing in on a lock on feature as found in 700.12 exception.422.31(B) does not say that a provision to lock the breaker open it says the branch circuit switch or circuit breaker is capable of being locked in the open position. IF these lock on features as found in 700.12 are expectable as meeting this requirement nothing says the have to be provided. So every appliance serviceman is going to be required to carry an assortment of lock on features to match the particular breaker style. And if the home owner chooses to repair his own appliance he hasn?t a shot at finding one of these devices.

Thanks for the replies David
My question is what role does article ARTICLE 700 Emergency Systems play in the installation of a dish washer?
:confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.