Dishwasher for final inspection

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeff48356

When building a new house in Michigan (since dishwashers are required to be hard-wired), does the dishwasher need to be in place in order to pass a final electrical inspection? I'm ready to call it in, but just realized they don't have the unit in place because they didn't install the kitchen flooring yet. There is just a 12/2 cable hanging out of the wall where the unit goes.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
You should be okay. I'm sure the inspector has seen this before. You can always call and ask.

GerryB

Doesn't a DW that can't be lotto'd on it's control side need a disco w/in sight?

~RJ~
The OP didn't say he had no disco under the sink or on the counter.
Are you in Vermont? A friend I know recently built a house there. He had to have the service (underground) inspected but not the house itself. Another funny thing the POCO wanted a meter with lugs on the side instead of on the bottom. I was helping him get the materiel down here in Ct. No one heard of that meter, (forget what they called it). Supply house down here wanted some outrageous price, $600 or something. He got in Vermont for a normal price since it must be common there.

Last edited:

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
When building a new house in Michigan (since dishwashers are required to be hard-wired), does the dishwasher need to be in place in order to pass a final electrical inspection? I'm ready to call it in, but just realized they don't have the unit in place because they didn't install the kitchen flooring yet. There is just a 12/2 cable hanging out of the wall where the unit goes.
Since a dishwasher is not required in the building code and if the circuit was unable to be energized, I would ask how could it not pass? IMHO it would be a rough-in

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

mtfallsmikey

I bought/installed a new ISE disposal for our office kitchen, and bought an ISE cord/plug, saved the package in case the inspector wanted to see it. Cord/plug must be a 1 piece unit, not field installed plug, from what I understand.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Since a dishwasher is not required in the building code and if the circuit was unable to be energized, I would ask how could it not pass? IMHO it would be a rough-in

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
Same here.

Roger

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Rough in is fine. OP is looking for a final with a wire laying on the floor.
Dress it up then put box with a cover on it and cap the wires, it may or may not be used in the future, it's not the inspectors business.

No different than some lighting outlets, I may or may not ever mount a fixture on it, not the inspectors concern. After I install (rough in) what is required I'm done and the final can be issued.,

Roger

GerryB

Dress it up then put box with a cover on it and cap the wires, it may or may not be used in the future, it's not the inspectors business.

No different than some lighting outlets, I may or may not ever mount a fixture on it, not the inspectors concern. After I install (rough in) what is required I'm done and the final can be issued.,

Roger
Which was stated in post #3. If it is not boxed or safed off it is the inspectors business if you are looking for a final.

romex jockey

Occupation
electrician
The OP didn't say he had no disco under the sink or on the counter.
Are you in Vermont? A friend I know recently built a house there. He had to have the service (underground) inspected but not the house itself. Another funny thing the POCO wanted a meter with lugs on the side instead of on the bottom. I was helping him get the materiel down here in Ct. No one heard of that meter, (forget what they called it). Supply house down here wanted some outrageous price, $600 or something. He got in Vermont for a normal price since it must be common there.

Yes, the folks @ Milbank know me by name Gerry

I have recently started seeing them come with cord and plug, but prior to like a year ago, I had never seen one either.

meeting 110.25 EX

~RJ~

romex jockey

Occupation
electrician
Almost all the high end units come with a cord and plug setup now. We usually just set a receptacle under the sink and the cord goes thru the cabinet just as the water line do.

Of note is 422.16 (B) (2) 3's recent increase to 6 1/2"

I.E~ They're trying to accomodate male cord cap disco's

~RJ~

Status
Not open for further replies.