Dishwasher lockout

Status
Not open for further replies.

rich000

When I bought my home, there was a lockout on the breaker for the dishwasher. However, it was installed PREVENTING the breaker from being turned off or tripping.

I took it off immediately.

However, I have noticed this in several homes in my neighborhood and on newer homes.

Can someone explain this to me?

I was under the impression that you could not prevent an OCD from tripping.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Re: Dishwasher lockout

Rich, I can't tell you why the locks are on the breakers, but I can tell you they don't prevent the breaker from tripping. They only prevent someone from turning the breaker off.

I know why breaker locks are installed on fire alarms, life safety circuits, security, etc..., but unless there is some major quantity of dirty dishes, :eek: I don't see the need here.

Roger

mikeackley

Rich:
I have circuit breaker locks as well, incl. Dish Washer which is permanently connected. The lockable handle ties are intended to lock the breaker in the "open" position, meeting the disconnecting requirements of 422.31.

[ April 09, 2003, 10:59 PM: Message edited by: mikeackley ]

iwire

Staff member

422.63 Dirty Dish Cleaning Equipment.

(A)Branch circuits shall be supplied by overcurrent protective devices that have been locked on. To prevent dangerous build up of dirty dishes.

(B)Only listed detergents shall be used.

:D

[ April 08, 2003, 08:39 PM: Message edited by: iwire ]

hurk27

Roger some local ajh's will require a lock out means of disconect if the dishwasher does not have a disconect withen site of the dishwasher as per:

422.31 Disconnection of Permanently Connected Appliances.

B) Appliances Rated Over 300 Volt-Amperes or Horsepower. For permanently connected appliances rated over 300 volt-amperes or hp, the branch-circuit switch or circuit breaker shall be permitted to serve as the disconnecting means where the switch or circuit breaker is within sight from the appliance or is capable of being locked in the open position. FPN: For appliances employing unit switches, see 422.34.

And as you had said the lock will not prevent the breaker from tripping as the tripping mechenizem will still operate even if the handle can not move. and this is a requirment of UL in the manufactureing of the breakers. that the tripping of the breaker can not prevented if the handle is being blocked from moving by a obstruction or lock out.

rich000

Thank you all. My bad on the forgetting the breaker will still trip even with the device on.

I just find it odd that it would be installed that way.

Thanks again.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician

Mike and Wayne, I didn't think about that.

Bob, you are right. I should spend more time reading this 422 article. I'm :eek:

I did know about the listed and approved detergent though. :D

Roger

fishin' electrician

What part of 422.31 B requires a breaker lock to be provided by the installing electrician?

Even without the breaker lock installed, it is capable of being locked in the open position.

one other thing article 422.32 - disconnecting means for motor driven appliances: if a switch or circuit breaker serves as the disconnecting means for a permanently connected motor driven appliance of more than 1/8 hp,it shall be located within sight of the motor controller - the only exception basically says you dont have to have one if the appliance has a off switch on it ( for servicing the equipment).pretty much the only things that lock outs are good for are resistive loads only.-hope this helps

A

a.wayne3@verizon.net

Also a cord connected d/w or disposal doesn`t need a lock out or a disc.switch we use this method and it works fine if the plunbers are late then we still get our final............

Status
Not open for further replies.