Dishwasher turning on and off when electric car charges

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
I’m curious to know the brand of dishwasher. I just had a new LG unit installed last year, and everything was fine. Then 5 months ago I had solar installed with a battery system. In the morning when the battery starts to recharge, my dishwasher will sometimes chime as if it was powered up. At first I thought I was hearing things, but I was right there in the kitchen once and saw it happen. It powers up, then sits there waiting for a Run command and eventually powers down again when it doesn’t get one.

My theory is that the charger has its own internal solid state power switch, so that when not being used it is not consuming power to the internal transformer. So when it is called for, the switch turns on and there is inrush current when that internal transformer is magnetizing. That inrush then causes a ringing transient that makes the solid state power switch on the dishwasher turn off and back on. That can happen easily if they are using a triac or SCR as the main power switch in the dishwasher. In my case it doesn’t happen all of the time (or nobody is home to hear it when it does), which would be consistent with it being an inrush issue, because if the sun is already out before the batteries are separated, it will charge from the solar and I think the solar inverter is suppressing the inrush, but if the batteries are depleted first, it will start charging from the utility and that’s when we see the inrush.

I’m wondering if the Tesla charger has that same power switch so that when not being used, it powers down the transformer to avoid the losses. Then when it is turned in, it creates a ringing transient that the power switch in the dishwasher is reacting to. If so, you would not be able to see the transient without a scope, it’s way too fast for a meter to capture.

retirede

I’m curious to know the brand of dishwasher. I just had a new LG unit installed last year, and everything was fine. Then 5 months ago I had solar installed with a battery system. In the morning when the battery starts to recharge, my dishwasher will sometimes chime as if it was powered up. At first I thought I was hearing things, but I was right there in the kitchen once and saw it happen. It powers up, then sits there waiting for a Run command and eventually powers down again when it doesn’t get one.

My theory is that the charger has its own internal solid state power switch, so that when not being used it is not consuming power to the internal transformer. So when it is called for, the switch turns on and there is inrush current when that internal transformer is magnetizing. That inrush then causes a ringing transient that makes the solid state power switch on the dishwasher turn off and back on. That can happen easily if they are using a triac or SCR as the main power switch in the dishwasher. In my case it doesn’t happen all of the time (or nobody is home to hear it when it does), which would be consistent with it being an inrush issue, because if the sun is already out before the batteries are separated, it will charge from the solar and I think the solar inverter is suppressing the inrush, but if the batteries are depleted first, it will start charging from the utility and that’s when we see the inrush.

I’m wondering if the Tesla charger has that same power switch so that when not being used, it powers down the transformer to avoid the losses. Then when it is turned in, it creates a ringing transient that the power switch in the dishwasher is reacting to. If so, you would not be able to see the transient without a scope, it’s way too fast for a meter to capture.

I wonder what would happen if the dishwasher was mid-cycle during such an event?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

micabay

Appliance Tech
Occupation
Appliance Tech
New dishwashers are hot garbage as far as quality is concerned. Anything made in the last two years due to Covid quality control is even worse.

What’s the model number of said machine? Seeing even two volts of supply drop during operation can and will do goofy things.

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
Had a recall that “not a recall” according to the manufacture on my dishwasher. They wouldn’t say what was wrong with it, but wanted me to call to set up a service appointment for them to look at it. Of course they don’t answer the phone to schedule it.

ammklq143

Occupation
Electrician
Customer has a dishwasher turning off and back on when they charge their Tesla. Tesla Charger runs at 48 amps and there is a 200 amp service--both of which I installed.

Found a loose ground on the receptacle of the dishwasher but that didn't seem to fix anything.

Voltage went from 120 before charging to 118 during charging.

Still possible that there is not a correlation. customer is going use the 120 volt cord for a week or so to check if it keeps happening

Anyone have thoughts or run into something like this?
I've had customers have similar issues from constant pressure VFD's for well pumps. Most recently I wired a new home and they purchased all new appliances. Their gas stove would randomly light up burners and/or the oven. I had them shut the breaker off to the well pump when they weren't using water and it never happened. Put a filter on the pump control and it's been good ever since. I don't have the filter part number but it was a Franklin Water product. Here's one example but I don't think this is the exact model that I've used in the past. https://franklinwater.com/media/166407/225214101_EMI_Input_Filter_Install_Manual-FINAL.pdf Might be worth giving it a try.

readydave8

re member
Occupation
electrician
Daughter's LG dishwasher randomly stops in middle of cycle. She found out they can use dropcord to different receptacle and would work fine

I checked receptacle fir loose connection and used hair dryer to test under load, couldn't find any issues

I thought the cord itself might make a difference, but when it's plugged in dishwasher receptacle doesn't is same as when no cord

Google kept talking about DW wifi connection (U wanted to insert "mad" emotions here but for some reason all I'm finding is bouncy smileys and kittens)

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
possibly same thing as would happen if you pressed the power button during operation?
My wife (who is "electronically impaired") did hit the power button in mid cycle once, it basically started all over again. So in reality I may not have noticed if it had done that as a result of the battery charger. The damned thing is so quiet that most of the time I don't notice it running.

kwired

Electron manager
My wife (who is "electronically impaired") did hit the power button in mid cycle once, it basically started all over again. So in reality I may not have noticed if it had done that as a result of the battery charger. The damned thing is so quiet that most of the time I don't notice it running.
I doubt there is an answer that fits all either, some may just go into a "pause" mode, some may drain and then shut down, or like you said may start whatever process it was set for to run all over again.

Status
Not open for further replies.